Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Faddy eating - how do you handle it?

(6 Posts)
ETsmum Fri 25-Feb-05 16:06:50

My ds is 19m, and I know his behaviour is normal, and that he eats a variety of things through the week. But what do you do when your ds/dd has spent the last hour on and off saying they are hungry, only to sit them down with a "favourite" lunch for them to turn their nose up? I tend to think that as long as he is well, etc, than he has to learn that he won't get offered choice after choice (he isn't old enough for me to ask him what he fancies!)

Just asking as my mum made me so cross as she is against my attitude, and will happily offer him things til he eats something. Don't get me wrong, if say 15 mins later he said he was hungry again, I'd try again.....am I too tough?

Mud Fri 25-Feb-05 16:08:36

nope you sound spot on to me

ETsmum Fri 25-Feb-05 16:10:36

THANK YOU!! Maybe my mum has some funny, old-fashioned ideas or something I did politely remind her that I'm the mum here!! It's just so maddening coz she's excellent in every other way....

Laylasmum Fri 25-Feb-05 16:28:54

ETsmum i think you're totally right to do what you do and make as little of an issue about it as possible. Kids will eat what they are given if they are hungry enough!!

Twiglett Fri 25-Feb-05 18:11:24

Its funny but you tend to find the older generation were stricter than the current parents are, however when it comes to their grandchildren all the rules fly out the window because its more fun and they don't have to suffer the consequences

You are doing completely the right thing IMHO and I would stick at it

However I would also try not to get narked at the way your mum deals with your DS, because some fights aren't worth having, and this is one of them

I still remember my mother telling my DS (when he was just under 3) he could have an apple ONLY if he ate it all .. she gave him 5 minutes, he's happily chomping away and she came in with an ice lolly saying "xx, look what nanna has for you" PMSL

ETsmum Fri 25-Feb-05 19:34:22

Twiglett - know the fight isn't worth it, and I just have to smile sweetly etc Think I feel extra niffed as we usually don't argue over anything really..... I'm lucky that the in-laws especially can understand why we are/aren't doing certain things, because they did things "wrong" wuth their kids! Just feel better as a couple of you agree with me (sad I know, but with some things I really question my judgement sometimes.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now