Talk

Advanced search

1yo now hates his bath

(9 Posts)
BlueChampagne Fri 19-Sep-08 13:16:05

About the age of 11 months, our DS went off his bath, which he previously enjoyed. He just stands in it yelling; won't sit down, even with company. At first we thought it was because he didn't want to be enclosed (as he was just starting to walk), but he doesn't mind standing in the bath to be showered!

I'm not overly bothered, as showering is quicker and greener, but am curious if any other MNer has experienced the same thing, and has any theories on the subject.

Oh, and he's happy enough in a swimming pool too, so it's not water per se.

bodiddly Fri 19-Sep-08 13:23:25

it is a phase that a lot of them seem to go through .. I would either leave it a while (especially as he doesnt mind being showered) and try again in a few weeks or get him a new bath toy and he won't be able to wait to get in there! My ds is 3.5 and he goes through spates of not wanting to play ball!

BlueChampagne Fri 19-Sep-08 13:31:43

Thanks Bodiddly - will try a bit of both in a few weeks.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Fri 19-Sep-08 13:36:44

Yep this happened to DS at about that age. Lasted a couple of months and then he was fine. Loves it now (20mo) and asks for basstime when it gets to 6.30pm.

catstar Fri 19-Sep-08 13:55:27

Bluechampagne - we are going through this at the moment with DD (14 months). It's been going on for the past couple of months - she won't sit down and just hangs round my neck while I try to sponge her down. We've tried the shower but she screamed the place down!

It's starting to bug me a bit now as she's doing more and more activities that leave her filthy - like feeding herself and rubbing the food in her hair wink. I went thoguh a phase of getting in with her and think I will give this another shot tonight but I'm 18 weeks pregnant and working 4 days a week so it's the last thing I need!

I would be interested to hear any advice too! Hoping it's "just a phase" as everything else seems to be smile.

Good luck!

bigspender30 Fri 19-Sep-08 14:43:53

its definitely a phase and the best advice I can give is let them play in the bath when its empty. Take their favourite toys in and just let them get used to spending time in it. Also, if they are teething, they may have a sore bum and not want it to touch the water

BlueChampagne Fri 19-Sep-08 15:08:27

Hope a shared bath does the trick for you Catstar, but that the phase passes soon so you can enjoy a good soak without company. At least we're not alone.

Wade Fri 19-Sep-08 20:46:44

This is so funny! DD is 13 months and has just 'recovered' from approx 3 weeks of hating baths after previously loving them. For about a week I had to hold her upright - so she didn't slip - while dh wiped the mud/food/snot etc off her arms and legs.... Wondered if it was 'cos she was brewing a cold/cough which she's now recovered from. Anyhow she loves them again now!

moocowme Fri 19-Sep-08 21:11:05

get some bath toys they like. we recently had to get a bigger bath for DS (only shower in our flat) and he did not like it at first until mummy realised that she had some cool toys that stuck to the side. DS thinks its great fun now. and it only took 3 nights to phase in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now