Talk

Advanced search

Just want to say, I am LOVING a more grown up dd!

(26 Posts)
CapricaSix Fri 19-Sep-08 09:28:58

She has recently turned 5 and is so lovely to hang out with.

This morning we were talking about all the different things you can choose to study (or be) when you finish school. After a long conversation about all the options of what she could do when she's grown up, she decided seriously, "I'm not going to decide yet, I will decide when I'm older." grin

She has started asking me questions about what I've been up to, and wanted to see my study notes etc. I am studying earth sciences with the OU atm and the next bit is "Earth & Space", dd said "I want to study Earth & Space!" She is really interested in what i'm learning (though she doesn't necessarily understand it all! - case in point: she asked me today where Santa Claus lives, then added, "Maybe you'll learn about it in your study books!" grin)

This morning when I said "Have a good day at school," she replied, "Have a good jog!" (I jog home from school.)

We were also talking about the fact that Harry Potter goes to boarding school, and I happened to mention that there are boarding schools in RL, dd says "I'm not going to boarding school. I would miss you too much, and you would miss me!"

She draws pictures for important people in her life after bedtime (and then gets up to show me angry) - and remembers a few weeks later to give it to them when she sees them. Yesterday she had a barney with her little schoolfriend ("We can't have a sleepover any more" - phew! I had no intention of allowing one yet!!grin), she was pretty unforgiving about it at the time, but after bedtime she drew her a picture & wrote "Please be my friend"

She has started assisting me in remembering stuff - this morning she put her pocket money bag in her book bag so I wouldn't forget it. (I promptly forgot the book bag itself though! grin) One work day last week my alarm didn't go off so we were in a mad rush, out of the house in 15 mins (she coped v well) - 2 days later it was a non-work day & dd woke up first, she came in saying "I looked at my clock & saw it said 7 o'clock and I thought, oh no we're late again!! then i remembered there's no work today!"

She got an Achievement certificate for her writing last week and has been so proud of it, first thing she shows ppl when they visit.

All in all, it's all so nice atm! Given that I found the baby & toddler phases so hard...i'm so glad all that is over, cute as she was... I'm going to make the most of this period, i know it's not going to last forever...before long she'll be a moody sulky teenager who wants nothing to do with her mum! <<shudder>>

mollythetortoise Fri 19-Sep-08 09:41:37

she sounds fab.. my dd also 5 is getting like this too.. it is really really nice.. we often go out at weekend and go to cafe for a cup of tea and cake which we keep secret from the boys (dad and ds). we giggle a lot too. long may it last! although having said all that last night she was a bit of a pain..

Anchovy Fri 19-Sep-08 09:46:53

Yes, my DD has just started reception and is just about to turn 5 and is an absolute pleasure to be with at the moment.

We too have been doing some hanging out in coffee shops - last weekend we sat with a magazine each, me with a coffee, her with a hot chocolate, reading, chatting occasionally and it made me almost mesmerically happy.

It is so much better than the old "wrangle them into the car seat, can they make it through a shopping trip without needing a wee" days.

Frankly DS is just turning 7 and DH and I feel like we have been reborn!

frankbestfriend Fri 19-Sep-08 09:51:43

I just find it gets better every year, dd is 7 now and she is so much fun and great to be with, I am relly enjoying her company.

What a nice thread, CapricaSixsmile

CapricaSix Fri 19-Sep-08 09:54:09

Thanks!
My mum gave me a fridge magnet ages ago which I only just re-read on the fridge (you know how you stop noticing things): "A daughter is just a little girl who grows up to be your best friend."

Jazzicatz Fri 19-Sep-08 09:54:32

My ds is 5. but rather than wanting to spend time with me he ADORES his dad and wants to be with him all the time. They have much of the relationship that you are talking about - I am very envy as I only have 2 boys and feel thay will both be the same!

Anchovy Fri 19-Sep-08 09:56:52

Yes, frankbestfriend, I agree with the "genuinely enjoying their company" bit.

Ds at 7 is actually a very funny little boy who makes jokes that are genuinely amusing and we have a real sense of having a real person emerging, its lovely.

I also like it that the things they are interested in now are much more interesting. We sit with DS and watch "Coast" and "Blue Planet", which makes up for the farking wasteland years of Lazytown and Big Cook Little Cook. We spent yesterday evening finding a website which plotted the migration patterns of caribou!

CapricaSix Fri 19-Sep-08 10:09:46

Anchovy - i'm kind of still waiting for the LazyTown/Big Cook Little Cook thing to end, though these days she does prefer to put on one of her DVDs like Tom & Jerry or the Mr Men.

However, I've been watching an episode of the BBC's Earth Story every night, and telling her all about it the next day, and she did ask me this morning if it was for children too. Maybe I'll give it a try! I have a feeling she wouldn't understand it & would get bored quickly though, which would be a pity - much better to keep her interest at her own level. Even that kiddy wildlife programme (Our Planet or something?) on CBeebies doesn't really keep her attention.

mynameisluka Fri 19-Sep-08 10:20:27

What a wonderful thread! It's so lovely to hear someone singing the praises of their child! I feel all fuzzy for you now CS particularly because you said you found the baby/toddler stages hard. It only gets better - even after you've had to ride out the other developmental stages. I think I feel wonderfully happy and smiley with my lot several times a day, intermingled with several times of feeling outrageously frustrated!
Nice to hear about your smiley times.smile

CapricaSix Fri 19-Sep-08 10:50:31

Thanks. It's not all rosy though - we had an after school pre-teatime meltdown yesterday, I'm ashamed to say I shouted blush but the great thing about dd's age now is that we can have a chat about it afterwards and reach a decision/solution together - we've agreed that tea will be later from now on so she can have a snack (as long as it's healthy) when we get home from school (atm she's only allowed one on the way home from school, i usually cook tea straight away) and she'll have a bath before tea instead. grin
I also got very angry with her repeatedly getting up last night till nearly 10pm, I ended up putting a note on her side of the door saying "STOP!! Mummy will take away your CDs if you get up! Good night! xx" Which she thought was very funny this morning when she got up at 7am "I was about to go back to bed but it was 7 o'clock so I got up!!"

I do remember at different stages like 6 mo, 1yo, 18 mo etc saying to ppl "This is the nicest stage yet!" so it wasn't all bad! dd was incredibly cute, not long ago I was watching old home videos & I was like, did I not realise how adorable she was?! But I did - it was just that I felt a bit swallowed up I think.

frankbestfriend Fri 19-Sep-08 13:45:25

Agree Anchovy.

Much more enjoyable to spend time with them as they get older because they start to enjoy the same things that we do.

Dd also likes adult nature programmes now, and also Trawlermenhmm, but I agree it's better than endless cbeebies.
She takes an interest in the newspaper too, which gives us loads to talk about, and she is also becoming very witty.

We went to see Mama Mia at the weekend, just the 2 of us, and it was so enjoyable.
I usually end up asleep in the cinema half way through crappy kids films, it was great to watch an 'adult' film we both loved.

Also took her to see Girls Aloud, she was so grown up, dancing away and cheering.
Having an older daughter is fantastic, the only problem is at this rate I'll never have another, it's become too easy with just dd to dare disrupt it.

CapnGooberSparrow Fri 19-Sep-08 13:48:54

Mine is almost 13 now. Just you wait. Tee-hee.

badmummygoodmummy Fri 19-Sep-08 13:51:35

aww bless her. Its great isnt it, my dd also five comes home and says so what have you done today, when I said I had been to University for an open day and had lunch there she piped up ohh did you have your lunch sat on the carpet with your teacher? grin

piratecat Fri 19-Sep-08 13:53:08

great thread. i love those moments when you just feel really happy and at ease with your dc.

My dd is 6, and her dad left a few yrs back, and we really are like buddies.

It's a wonderful feeling, i feel like me and dd are in love at times blush

seeker Fri 19-Sep-08 13:54:50

Oh mine's nearly 13 and so far it's fabulous! She is so sweetly serious about being grown up, and so gently patronizing when she thinks I'm being juvenile. I love the way she swings between a eyeliner wearing shoe loving shopaholic, a hard working slogger at school work and a teddy bear cuddling little girl.

I am aware that she could turn horrible teen tomorrow, but at the moment, I am loving every minute I spend with her (the few sha has spare from her busy life!)

piratecat Fri 19-Sep-08 13:57:15

i want mine to stay at 6 boo hoo.

Fennel Fri 19-Sep-08 13:59:45

I like the early primary years too. My dds are 8, 7 and 4 and it is lovely, less tantrumming and physical slog than in the toddler years, but still they're all cuddly and they all think I'm great and want to spend time with me (I know this will change...).

I like the books and films they like now too. Am loving revisiting so many of my childhood favourites. Chapter books are so much more interesting than picture books.

Kammy Fri 19-Sep-08 14:14:33

What about boys! My ds is 6 nearly 7 and just the absolute best company - we go camping together, bike rides, long and serious conversations about evolution grin (this morning's special). Plus I get an insight into what it is to be 'male' watching a little boy grow up and get to watch a whole load of things I missed as a child...aka Star Wars and the like.

Gratned Captain underpants and cold football fields take a bit of getting used to...

mrsshackleton Fri 19-Sep-08 14:24:09

OOh I am envy but in the nicest possible way
I am so not a baby person, marginally more into toddlers. Every day my dd1 who's three gets nicer and nicer and more and more fun to be with and my dd2 who was a horror of a baby is a bit easier too, though the toddler years still lie ahead there
I can't wait for them to be, say, five and three - people say don't wish it away and I'm not but I think children between five and nine are as good as it gets and I'm really looking forward to it
But I have a weekend all alone with dds coming up as dh is working and no friends are around. A year ago I would have been virtually suicidal at the prospect. Now I am quite looking forward to it, though I may not feel the same on Sat morning wink

CapricaSix Fri 19-Sep-08 14:42:18

I second the comments about books & films etc. I too missed out on screen-related stuff as a child, so it's lovely to be able to show dd stuff that i missed. And agree about chapter books! Have been reading the Faraway Tree books, which in one sense are so awful but in another sense are just magical as a child.

frankbestfriend Fri 19-Sep-08 14:56:02

mrsshackleton I love it when dh works away, dd sleeps in my bed and we watch the X factor and gorge on takeaway pizza.

Agree about revisting childhood books too, we are on a Roald Dahl marathon atm and it's lovelysmile

Acinonyx Fri 19-Sep-08 15:03:23

If I forget everything else when I am old and dotty - I will always be able to sing the clearing up song from Big Cook Little Cook.

mrsshackleton Fri 19-Sep-08 15:19:30

frank
Exactly I am really looking forward to doing that kind of thing, for now girls are still too young
But we'll get there

sclubheaven Fri 19-Sep-08 15:22:45

Oh yes, DS1 has turned 5 in the summer and it is by far my favourite age so far - I said so to DH the other day. He is so lovely at the moment smile

meandmyjoe Fri 19-Sep-08 19:36:46

Lol mrs shackleton, i remeber your thread about dd2 who was 6 months old at the time (I remember it as I was going through hell with my 4 month old at the time!). Nice to hear things have got easier. My ds continues to be rather challenging but is a lot easier (when he's not teething like his is now sad)

This has given me hope that not all grotty babies turn into grotty children!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now