Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! 2.4 yo houdini escaping from car seat.. What on earth can I do (other than stay at home for the next 10 years)?

(7 Posts)
MuffinMclay Thu 18-Sep-08 22:03:22

Ds1 has always fancied himself as a bit of a houdini. To date this has involved slipping his arms out of his car seat straps - dangerous and annoying, but he does put them back if yelled at.

Today he excelled himself. Today I was driving along at 60 mmph when ds1 appeared in the front seat with a cheery 'hello mummy'. He had undone the buckle on his car seat and clambered through to the front.shock I knew I'd done up the buckle properly, but began to doubt myself. I put him back in the seat, checked the straps were as tight as tight can be, the buckle was fine etc, then 2 minutes down the road he'd done the same again.

It is a Britax Duoplus Isofix seat, if that makes an difference.

bodiddly Thu 18-Sep-08 22:10:05

my ds did this ... you can buy a clip (might be called a hugit but cant remember) that goes over the harness straps so that they cant get their arms through. If you search the archives you will probably find a few threads on this as I know it was done not too long ago - you will probably find links to the products.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 18-Sep-08 22:12:46

DD is nearly two and started doing this last week. We took drastic action, first of all, if she does it, she goes home immediately with no discussion and we don't talk to her till we are home and whatever fun thing we were going to do is cancelled (yep mean mummy but it's bloody scary).

Second we have got a large piece of velcro strip and wrapped it round and round the connector so she can't undo the button (and nor can we easily so not for the faint hearted).

Getting arms out generally means the seat straps are too high, we've moved our seat straps down to slightly below her shoulders and adjusted where the pads are too.

Alternative MITTENS - tied very tight should fox the little darling!

bodiddly Thu 18-Sep-08 22:21:12

here

MuffinMclay Thu 18-Sep-08 22:23:23

Thank you for link. Will check that out. Have screaming ds2 now, so will have to come back to this tomorrow.

Guadalupe Thu 18-Sep-08 22:24:31

Oh good, I was wondering if there was something like this. Our 18 month old discovered he can get his arms out no matter how tight the straps are and I don't suppose it will be long before the rest of him follows.

BeHappy08 Wed 08-Oct-08 13:31:46

There is a product that is patent pending that will go above or below the manufactured chest clip, this product can be used on strollers, high chairs and toddler swings, basically any product that is manufactured with shoulder harness straps.
She also sells blankets that clip to strollers and car seats, very nice stuff
Try Baby Huggables,
http://www.BabyHuggables.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now