Talk

Advanced search

typical age range to be able to pedal (with stabilisers)

(14 Posts)
lingle Tue 16-Sep-08 19:30:52

DS1 did it on his 2nd birthday, DS2 on his 3rd.

Was DS1 unusually early or DS2 unusually late?

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 19:32:28

Both within normal range, I would say. It depends on how often the DCs get to ride the bikes, I think

Milliways Tue 16-Sep-08 19:46:33

DS was 3 without stabilisers (but DD was 6) so they all vary.

UniS Tue 16-Sep-08 20:09:16

Sound in normal range. Boy was about 18 months which I understand ( from teh comments it got) to be early. he couldn't even reach the bottom of the pedal stroke, but worked out you could do half a turn then back pedal and do another half turn. He may have ben capabel earlier but that was 1st time he managed to get on a bike he could reach the pedals on at all.
In his defense he has been trailed behind my bike from 6 months so he should know what to do with pedals.

katylou25 Tue 16-Sep-08 20:36:11

well ds1 now 3.7 can't do it but ds2 2 can! Think ds1 just can't be arsed tho!

NotBigNotClever Tue 16-Sep-08 20:40:36

DD was 6 before she managed with stabilisers and about 8 before she managed without. DS (3.8) appears to be following her crap example. We're not a family of very keen cyclists, though.

LostGirl Tue 16-Sep-08 20:45:58

DD is five and can just about manage to pedal as long as you are not expecting her to look where she is going and steer as well!

alice123 Tue 16-Sep-08 21:47:26

my son is 5 and still can't manage to cycle with stabilisers. He cycles forward about 6 inches then backwards. He has a bicycle he was given and has now outgrown! How can he get it??

lingle Wed 17-Sep-08 09:03:55

Thanks everyone - I will now scrupulously avoid saying that DS2 pedalled "later" than DS1. [dusts off copy of "Siblings without Rivalry"]
Alice123, my cyclist/coach friend (whose son rode behind her like Unis's) recommended taking off the pedals and the stabilisers - ie treat the bike like a sit-down scooter for a while. Then once the balance and movement is there, try putting the pedals back on.

WouldYouCouldYouWithAGoat Wed 17-Sep-08 09:06:24

dd never pedaled anything, her tricycle sat merrily gathering dust. i tried her on bike with stabilisers but nothing. took stablilisers off and she was away within the week aged 4

bran Wed 17-Sep-08 09:07:53

My DS (4.3 yrs) can't pedal, his balance is fab as he used to have a walking bike but he just can't grasp the principle of pedalling. I don't have any patience so we both get cross when he tries to learn and we haven't even taken the bike out for about a month now. I should probably just take the pedals off, at least he'd get to use the bike a bit.

Gobbledigook Wed 17-Sep-08 09:12:59

Ds3 could pedal when he was 2.

The others were possibly a little bit older but off stabilisers at age 4 and 6 (just because we took them off theirs at teh same time).

I can't really remember tbh but it's not something I'd be bothered about!

asteamedpoater Wed 17-Sep-08 22:09:16

Holding onto the back of the bike and getting your child to try and pedal downhill can help him master the technique, as he doesn't meet too much resistance to his efforts, then, so is less likely to get confused and start back pedalling. I also resorted to holding one of my ds's feet on the pedal and pushing it round when it got to the top of its rotation, shouting "push" as I did it, then telling him to do the same on the other side when I shouted "push" again!!! It worked, just before my back gave in...

annoyingdevil Thu 18-Sep-08 13:53:04

DD just after two (she copied the neighbours' older children). DS - at the same age - still hasn't worked out that he actually needs to put his feet on the pedals to move. Despite having an older sister to copy. Oh well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now