Talk

Advanced search

Self-help skills in a 4.5 year old

(6 Posts)
asteamedpoater Mon 15-Sep-08 22:51:44

Is putting a coat on by yourself still often very tricky without a lot of guidance for many 4.5 year olds? And working out how to get clothes on that have, eg, ended up half inside-out? Do reception teachers pretty much expect to have to help a lot of the children with these things at PE and going home time? And when is this sort of thing generally expected without any help at school???

beautifuldays Mon 15-Sep-08 22:53:05

at our local school they don't help them at all apparently, even the 4 yr olds hmm

god help ds when he goes in january....

wessexgirl Mon 15-Sep-08 22:55:34

Oh God, yes, Reception teachers expect to help with this kind of thing! Dd did her first PE lesson today, and they deal with it by getting the parents to help them put on their kit at the beginning of school. Probably saves them a good 15-20 minutes.

I asked dd1 (nearly 5) if she'd got dressed by herself. She said yes, but then realised her polo shirt was on inside-out, so 'a lady' had to help her.

wessexgirl Mon 15-Sep-08 22:57:02

Maybe it's just in dd's school though...hmm

cory Tue 16-Sep-08 10:50:38

Ds has always come out of PE lessons with half his clothes inside out. Still does- and he's 8! Seems a bit late to expect the teachers to do anything about it really. I do try, but I half suspect him of wearing his brain inside out. In Reception needing help would be considered normal, though teachers are always grateful for any tricks you can teach your offspring to lighten their load.

asteamedpoater Tue 16-Sep-08 12:59:47

Thanks everyone - that's mainly fairly reassuring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now