Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had thier 3 year old at pick not wanting to be collected by parent and wanting to go to friends house to play?

(13 Posts)
mylittlemonsters Mon 15-Sep-08 21:11:06

If so how did you react?

HaventSleptForAYear Mon 15-Sep-08 21:12:15

pick? Pick up?

From where?

Have had this with DS (just turned 4) - I didn't see the problem with it.

Trafficcone Mon 15-Sep-08 21:19:27

Wtf is pick?? If it has anything to do with kids wanting to go to their friends after pre-school I didn't 'react' I said "What time shall I pick him/her up?"

Trafficcone Mon 15-Sep-08 21:21:19

Wtf is pick?? If it has anything to do with kids wanting to go to their friends after pre-school I didn't 'react' I said "What time shall I pick him/her up?"

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Sep-08 21:24:04

no, mine usually wants to stay at nursery all day instead lol.

PinkTulips Mon 15-Sep-08 21:27:36

pmsl... dd has adopted my friend as her new mommy and wants to go live in her house and she and firends dd call each other sisters grin

does that count?

couldn't care less, i'm glad she's not as terminally shy as she was for ages and it's lovely that my friend can grab her from playschool for me when the weathers nasty and can mind her for me without problems.

her dd screams blue murder when she has to leave our house to go home and happily stays here when her mom needs her minded and constantly asks to come here as well.

don't stress about these things... parents are permanent unmoving objects in a three year olds life..... friends are far more interesting wink

mylittlemonsters Mon 15-Sep-08 21:51:04

That is where I was as I was same when little. But it is the screaming tantrum of it. It wasn't that she was invited (all perfectly normal) seems she just decided that she wanted to do this.

She has only been at new nursery for 1 week (although friend she talked about is someone she knew previously) and wondered if it was a stress signal.

I did mean pick up bit clearly left the bit of my brain that had 'up' in it somewhere in the bathroom.

HaventSleptForAYear Tue 16-Sep-08 12:41:40

Eh? I still don't understand?

She's having a tantrum about going or NOT going ? She's invited or not?

Stress signal? Over tiredness?

compo Tue 16-Sep-08 12:44:27

I think she just missed out the 'up' from pick up.
Just say 'I'm sorry we have to get home quickly for lunch' or some other form of bribery

alreadyinuse Tue 16-Sep-08 16:37:43

She is not invited

Tantrum about leaving as she wants to go to friends house rather than home

Agree think it may be stress as she is also waking at night

Still not sure what to do as bribery does not work

alreadyinuse Tue 16-Sep-08 16:38:36

Sorry that was meant to be advise and answering - not sure it is clear - no real advice

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 16-Sep-08 17:03:16

Hi My Little Monsters

Yes! DD (now 5) used to do this quite a bit last yr

it always made me feel guilty (she's an only child) and a bit .. well ... crap ... for want of a better expression

some days she would do the usual running and throwing herself in to my arms routine and other days she would be screaming "Mummy I don't want to go home, I want to go to X's house" and hang on to a tree in the school play-ground - always in front of a row of assembled parents of course grin

The way I coped with it there and then was by saying "Well, we'll call X's Mummy when we get home" and by the time we got home, she'd have usually calmed down/forgotten about it - however - I did actually go ahead and arrange for some friends to come over after school once a week

It usually happened (looking back) when she was a bit upset/over-tired/over-excited and therefore finding the prospect of a transition from school to home too overwhelming

At 3, your dd is a bit young for play dates. Agree with others, distraction and bribery always good at this age!!

Oh and my dd has grown out of it (well, so far this term, she's been very happy to come home anyway!!) so hopefully it is just a phase .....

cory Tue 16-Sep-08 17:03:29

She wants something that seems pleasant though nobody has actually offered it to her- perfectly normal for a 3yo.

She has a tantrum when she doesn't get what she wants- again perfectly normal.

It's what small children do. When they're not having tantrums because they can't stay longer on the train/have sweets for supper/climb on the lord mayor's statue. Nothing to worry about IMO.

I would say 'sorry we can't because we've got to go home now, but if you like we can ask X's mummy if X wants to come to your house and play some other afternoon'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now