Talk

Advanced search

Is a 4 year old allowed to suck thumb in reception class

(9 Posts)
brigitte Mon 15-Sep-08 20:27:39

Hi everyone ,
Please can you advise me. My 4 year old born at the end of the year just started Reception and this evening whilst putting her to bed told me that her teacher told her she was not allowed to suck her thumb in class. I feel angry about this as she is one of the youngest and before speaking to the teacher was wondering if this is normal practice. My daughter also told me that she couldn't understand why her friend in the next door reception class but with a different teacher was allowed to suck her thumb. Any thoughts and advice are appreciated many thanks for your replies.

HuwEdwards Mon 15-Sep-08 20:29:53

I help out in reception and I see various children sucking their thumbs. Nothing is said unless the parent has asked the teacher to encourage them to stop.

Hulababy Mon 15-Sep-08 20:30:04

I have never heard of a teacher "banning thumb sucking.

A friend's 6y DD sucks her fingers - have seen her doing this at school plenty. Teachers have never told her not too, so long as she is still wrking I can't see the problm.

HuwEdwards Mon 15-Sep-08 20:31:11

just thinking, I guess the teacher might say this if the child is trying to speak with their thumb in, but cannot be understood....?

WigWamBam Mon 15-Sep-08 20:32:25

I would ask the teacher what she has actually said before you go any further, because often four year olds get the wrong end of the stick completely.

brigitte Mon 15-Sep-08 21:09:34

thank you all. I feel better after reading you, and you are right she might have been trying to speak with her thumb in her mouth. I will definitely speak with her teacher tomorrow to found out more about it. Thanks again.

mytetherisending Mon 15-Sep-08 21:21:07

I think the main problem with thumb sucking is that children seem to daydream at the same time grin The other problem is how a child can write neatly sucking a thumb because they need to hold a pen/pencil in one hand and hold their exercise book still with the other iyswim. Depends what they are doing. Would it be acceptable for dummy suckers to use them in class. hmm

DD1 does suck her thumb btw so I am not anti, but will be doing something to discourage it before she goes to school.

MickeyD Wed 17-Sep-08 22:19:19

I've seen pupils in Yr 11 sucking their thumb in class whilst watching a DVD or video. Mind you they don't do it all the time. I suppose it's about learning when it's appropriate and when it's not.

frankbestfriend Wed 17-Sep-08 22:28:23

My 7yo dd is a committed thumb sucker, but I have discouraged her from doing it at school. I want her to know that in some situations it is not appropriate to do it.

Also, she is almost certainly going to need a brace due to it, and 6 hours of no thumb in her mouth during the day would hopefully help the situation.

Agree with mytetherisending, the thumb sucking often induces daydreaming and twiddling of hair, and therefore not paying attention to what is happening in the classroom

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now