Talk

Advanced search

18 months old walking "tip toed" advice needed..

(26 Posts)
shhhh Mon 15-Sep-08 20:19:26

Ds is approx 18 months old and recently on occassions I have noticed him walking on his "tip toes". Not every step and alternates between feet.
I mentioned it to dh last week who suggested maybe it was just because of him "learning to walk and toddling" iykiwm.

Well today mum noticed it..and I have never mentioned it to her.
Mum suggested his feet need measuring/checking but he only got them measured and new shoes last week and tbh I think this has been happening since before then...

I have got the hv due to see him thursday BUT I will take him anyway to the gp's tomorrow and get him referred (ds had genetic disorder at birth so dh & i are very cautious over him iykwim.)

I have not been "googling" and have scared myself silly..please can anyone reassure me...suggestions of being unstead on his feet have come up and I think he is unsteady at times and again mum commented today BUT am I just reading to much into it or is he just a typical "toddler"...

Im scared....I can't go through what we went through 18 months ago again..sad.

Hassled Mon 15-Sep-08 20:25:09

DO NOT GOOGLE!

I think you're right to see your GP, if only so he/she can put your mind at rest. Yes, there are specific conditions which can cause a child to tip-toe walk but equally lots of toddlers tip-toe just because they can, and then they get into the habit of it and it becomes sort of normal.

shhhh Mon 15-Sep-08 20:29:37

I couldn't stop myself...sad.

Thanks hassled x

osborne Mon 15-Sep-08 20:31:40

My brother and I both did this and grew out of it by about 10. No ill consequences.

Hassled Mon 15-Sep-08 20:31:50

Sorry - I don't think I phrased that very well. What I was trying to say was I think at only 18 months there are bound to be all sorts of little quirks and oddities to co-ordination, steadiness and walking-styles - a lot will do with levels of tiredness, plus their centre of gravity is always changing as they grow so quickly at that age. See your GP and I'm sure you'l be reassured

fortyplus Mon 15-Sep-08 20:33:51

I second that... you KNOW that tiptoeing can be a sign of problems but I know two very normal, highly intelligent children who did it at that age. A boy and a girl now 13 and 18.

You need to stop worrying and see your GP for your own sake smile

shhhh Mon 15-Sep-08 20:46:06

Dh is working away and I mentioned it to him, he seemed worried and I think that rubbed of onto me...as Im home alone I couldn't help but look into it...

Will call gp first thing tomorrow and get him checked out..will push for him to referred privatly.
Thanks again. x

Jackstini Mon 15-Sep-08 20:48:50

dd (2.6) does this - not sure if she copies me blush or does it for same reason as I do (and did since I learnt to walk - very high arches make it uncomfortable for me to walk flat footed).
I still do it at 36 but am (mostly!) normal in every other way! grin

kt14 Mon 15-Sep-08 20:54:24

Totally agree with hassled - don't google!!

Tip toe walking is only usually associated with the various conditions you may now have read about if it is persistent and accompanied by a whole host of other symptoms. If you do have any concerns, no matter how unnrelated they seem, I would mention them to your gp.
Otherwise, please try and stay calm - I know plenty of children who are developing "normally" who sometimes walk on tip toes.

shhhh Mon 15-Sep-08 21:02:18

thing is due to ds's birth disorder I have constantly worried about him and always asked each paed we have seen or his surgeon how they think he is and if they can spot any othr issues iykiwm...no concern from them, but I worry they may miss things..sad.

Thanks jackstini & kt14. x

2cats2many Mon 15-Sep-08 21:07:20

My 17 month old tip-toes occasionally. It never occurred to me to worry about it until I read this thread. I thought she was just trying it out.

shhhh Mon 15-Sep-08 21:25:45

sorry if I have worried you 2cats..sad.
I guess given ds's history I just worry about everything about him...

Bowddee Mon 15-Sep-08 21:36:25

When I was worried about DS walking on tiptoes I asked the HV. The first thing she asked was if I wear high heels. I said I did. Then she suggested that I should look at my own feet when I take them off. And sure enough, I walk on tiptoes!

DS was just copying.

It really could be that simple.

shhhh Mon 15-Sep-08 21:45:08

I so hope its easily solved. smile x

Reallytired Mon 15-Sep-08 21:47:43

My son was a really extreme toewalker. He did not walk until 20 months and was unable to put his heels down. Not even the physio could malipulate his heels into a normal position. My son wore orthoric inserts for 18 months and we did daily physio.

Now if you saw my son at six years old you would never guess he was once under a child physio.

If your child can get their heels to the ground and the rest of their general development is fine then I expect they will be alright. However if you still feel uneasy then I would ask your GP for a referal to a community paediatrian.

BettySwollux Mon 15-Sep-08 22:01:58

DS1 did this, and I wasnt concerned. He had to have physio on badly srained ankle a while ago.
It turns out he has slightly 'short' calf muscles.
A few exercises here and there keep him right. Nothing to stress over.
So if anything is up (and it prob wont be), then I hope its just this.

shhhh Mon 15-Sep-08 23:05:40

thanks betty,I have read a few things on the net that are similar to what you posted..Quite reasurring..thanks smile.

Thanks as well rt,ds can walk "normally" with heels to the ground so im guessing all will be ok.
Will watch him more tomorrow and book for him to see our gp. x

yorkiemom Tue 16-Sep-08 08:03:45

My dd did this all the while, when she was about the same age.
It was just a stage, she is 7 now and completely "normal" (apart from cheeky!!)

Don't google will scare you silly. Speak to your GP but I'm sure you'll find lots of children do this, and nothing to worry about.
Good luck.

shhhh Tue 16-Sep-08 13:29:36

thanks yorkiemom smile
Have got appointment to see gp tonight so will update later x

orangina Tue 16-Sep-08 13:48:30

Good luck w gp appt later shhh.... I have a 19 month old ds who tiptoes most of the time, but also is quite happy walking normally. Have no idea what tip-toe-ing also means (will try really hard not google now, on advice of all of you!), but wonder if as a rule I should mention it to gp?

Look forward to reading your update later.... smile

Rachie97 Tue 16-Sep-08 18:53:46

my 21mnth old has started tip-toeing, her feet havent grown but we bought her some new shoes incase the other ones were rubbing & she still does it..we think that she just practicing reaching for things she not allowed to have! best to get it checked if your worried but prob just a stage he is going thru

shhhh Tue 16-Sep-08 21:44:31

orangina, sorry if I have put thoughts into your mind as well...sad blush Don't google though...

Well I took ds tonight to the gp's and the gp is not concerned at all.
He suggested I keep an eye to him for a month or so and if it gets worse or continues to go back, I think mainly as he knows how neorotic I am..blush

I think ds did tip toe while there..Im not sure but maybe he didn't but either way the gp is not concerned. He suggested maybe the style of shoe is not suited to ds and tbh I think maybe the shoe is quite heavy for a lo..It is a Clarks one and fitted professionally BUT I guess not all suit every lo. I think I will try for another style at the next fitting and maybe try startrite as I know Clarks range atm is dire.

So, thanks everyone for trying to keep me sane, sorry if I have worried anyone about their lo and thanks for everyone taking the time to try and put me at ease.
Im just so glad that the gp has seen ds and fingers crossed he will stop it soon!

smile. xx

Blandmum Tue 16-Sep-08 21:48:04

My DH did this all his life( even did it as an adult when tired and not wearing shoes). It didn't stop him being a fighter pilot in the RAF! smile

orangina Wed 17-Sep-08 10:05:06

Thanks for the update shhh... glad to hear the gp thought it wasn't anything to worry about. Have not googled, (though stupidly wildly tempted to do so...); can't imagine how scary the results would be, appreciate all the advice telling me not to! ds tiptoes in his bare feet mostly, when he is walking, but runs normally. Assuming all is well (who would have thought it would mean anything sinister?!)
smile

chelseamorning Wed 17-Sep-08 12:42:58

My DS did the same at that age, Shhhh. Like you, I became very alarmed. However I was comforted by my mother saying that we (I have 3 siblings) all did it and it was just him enjoying using his feet in different ways.

He does it occasionally now (23 months) but more to make us laugh. wink

Don't worry; I'm sure it'll be fine. My motto is 'only worry about the things you can control', otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now