Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

6 1/2 month old won't "play" - is this normal?

(8 Posts)
strawberrycornetto Sun 14-Sep-08 13:33:59

I'm having a tough time with my DS. He's coming up to 7 months old. He's always been a really happy little chap but recently I am struggling. He's ok when he's eating and he goes to sleep fine. But the rest of the time, I just don't know what to do with him. He isn't bad at sitting but won't sit on his own. If I lay him down on his back he rolls onto his stomach and then shouts/screams/cries. If I lie him on his front the same. If I sit him in a ring, he arches his back until he's lying flat and then the same. The only place he's happy is in his jumperoo but I don't like to leave him there too long. I have lots of different other toys that I rotate and I sit with him to help him sit and play with him etc. But he just seems permanently unhappy.

Anyone else's LO the same? At first I thought he was frustrated because he was desperate to crawl but he's been like this for quite a few weeks now and I don't really know what to do. I have a 3 year old DD and its really tough to look after both of them because at the moment they both want attention all the time. Am on my own this weekend with them and am finding it tough.

edam Sun 14-Sep-08 13:38:16

When you say 'won't sit on his own' do you mean he can't sit unaided, or doesn't like it if you leave him for a minute? Because the second is quite reasonable from his point of view (can't remember when sitting unaided happens, ds is now five).

The frustration and rolling over thing sounds familiar - think you are right, it's because he can't get to wherever he wants to get.

MinkyBorage Sun 14-Sep-08 13:41:13

sounds quite normal to me. Hard work though

strawberrycornetto Sun 14-Sep-08 13:42:06

This may sound a bit mad about a 7 month old, but I kind of feel he won't try to sit. Sometimes, if there is something at eye level that interests him, he has sat up on his own for more than a minute. But more often, he immediately flops forward and kicks out his legs so he's on his tummy again.

I kind of think it is a frustration thing at being immobile, but just wanted to make sure no one else thinks something is wrong I guess.

(DH suggested getting him a walker but he's really mini so he can't reach the ground!!)

mytetherisending Sun 14-Sep-08 13:42:59

Much sympathy! Both my dds hated being on tummy and sitting. Sounds like he prefers standing.
I have a leapfrog sit in playstation and a baby walker for dd and she loves them. She likes to wander between rooms and follow dd1 round smile It sounds like frustration to me. It could also be teething making him grumpy?

mytetherisending Sun 14-Sep-08 13:48:10

If he is small then I agree about leaving the walker- dd2 is the other extreme, 5mths and been able to walk in the walker from 15wks as she is very tall.
The playstation thing would be fine though because you can just sit him in it. It goes really low as well, so he should be able to touch the floor. Have you tried him in any to see if he likes it, at a toddler group or anything?

strawberrycornetto Sun 14-Sep-08 14:20:35

We have the jumperoo rainforest thing which is kind of like a playstation. He LOVES it!! I am pretty sure its frustration so I guess I just have to wait it out and keep trying to entertain him smile

mytetherisending Sun 14-Sep-08 16:18:24

Oh the only other thing I did with dd1 was sit her in the high chair and put toys on the tray, push button/noise making toys, which helped because she could sit up and reach the toys properly iyswim. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now