Talk

Advanced search

Is 2.2 too young to understand the concept of the 'bunny' clock?

(18 Posts)
ceebee74 Sat 13-Sep-08 12:40:27

Am thinking of getting DS one (except it is a Thomas the Tank Engine version) as he was up at 6 this morning - but I don't know if he would actually understand.

squeaver Sat 13-Sep-08 12:41:40

Maybe the Thomas clock is better but don't buy the bunny clock it's SHITE.

The concept is good, the design is crap. Dd got hers for 3d birthday.

Lilliput Sat 13-Sep-08 12:50:17

We have been using the bunny clock on ds for about a week now and so far so good. I think that at 2 he wouldn't have 'got' it. ds is 3.5.
I totally agree with squeaver the design is shite and I have had to really stop him from playing with the clock as I fear it may break really easily. Dh bought it out of sheer desperation to rid us of 5.30 wakings. We set him achievable goal of getting up at 6.30 at first then gradually creeping the time to 7am this morning.

PuppyMonkey Sat 13-Sep-08 12:54:01

Wtf is the bunny clock?

ceebee74 Sat 13-Sep-08 12:56:53

here - it is to try and get children to stay asleep/in bed until a reasonable time in the mornings.

What is wrong with the design?

squeaver Sat 13-Sep-08 14:37:56

Basically it breaks. The thing you push down to set the alarm doesn't stay down unless you fiddle about with it. And it's far too easy for los to pull it up themselves then come into your bed at 5am saying "the bunny's woken up, the bunny's woken up".

And then all that fiddling about and excessive pushing up and down makes it break. So, in summary, it's shite.

I've heard good things about this. Luckily the early waking thing isn't such an issue for us now <<touches wood>>

vjg13 Sat 13-Sep-08 19:19:00

squeaver thanks for that link. smile My daughter has SN and we tried the bunny clock and found it rubbish too.

Just ordered the new one from JL so will report back how good it is.

PigeonPie Sat 13-Sep-08 21:38:16

We have a really, really old one which was a much better design. We have been using it with DS1 since he went into a bed at 18 months.

It meant that, unless he said he needed a wee, we could ignore him till Rabbit woke up (he does have a gate on his room). Now (at 2.10) he waits quietly (generally) till it wakes up.

Smee Sun 14-Sep-08 20:35:47

Don't spend the money - get a set of fairy lights, and stick them on a timer. It's far cheaper. Did that with DS from when he was just turned 2 and it mostly still works at 4.

llareggub Sun 14-Sep-08 20:38:23

smee, what a great idea!

RiojaLover75 Sun 14-Sep-08 20:40:44

Can someone give me a link for the T the T one? It sounds like it could be just the thing for DS2 aged 3.1.

TIA

Joolyjoolyjoo Sun 14-Sep-08 20:43:08

We also have the fairy lights on a timer, and it has worked really well, and is far cheaper! They aren't bright enough to actually wake them up, but they can see if they are on or not when they wake, so they know they can get up. I used ours from when dd was 2.

ceebee74 Mon 15-Sep-08 13:13:50

here is the link for the Thomas one.

BlueberryPancake Tue 16-Sep-08 19:31:24

I just use a timer on his bedside light. It's a cheap timer we bought from Ikea ages ago. I've set it so that the light comes on at half past six, then he can get up.

herbgarden Wed 17-Sep-08 08:08:11

My ds who is 2.2 has been going through the waking at 5.30 phase. I cut down his sleep after lunch to about half an hour now and he is going to about 6am - but what I've started doing is taking the monitor (switched off) to bed and as soon as I hear him yelling, talk through it to tell him to be quiet.I've got one of those BT ones with that function. He was starting to come into our bed but would eventually shove me out after having whacked me in the face a few times so not that relaxing.

Once I've got him understanding the concept of staying in bed when he wakes up just for a little bit (dh gets up at 6.30am on week days and I get up at the same time on work days to hard to expect him to stay in there after that when we're all up crashing around) I think I'll do the fairy light thing - but having used the monitor it is a lot better than it was.....

countrylover Thu 18-Sep-08 11:09:28

I'll second the fairy lights idea. We started it on our DS a few months ago (he was 2.5 then) when we too had enough of 5.30am wake up calls and it's worked wonders.

Combined with a sticker chart initially, it means we all get more rest in the mornings. We've now gone on step further and they're set for 7.30am at the weekends - BLISS!!

He still wakes around 7am but is quite happy to get some toys or books into his bed and play quietly until the lights come on.

NotBigNotClever Thu 18-Sep-08 11:24:10

I put (our 2nd) bunny clock on a v. high shelf facing the bed. ds can see it but not fiddle with it. This is working well so far. It took him about a week to break the bunny clock that dd had used without any problems for 5 years (she reluctantly traded it for a "grownup" alarm clock at the age of 7). Started using the clock with ds when he was about 2.5. Damn, wish I'd known about the fairy lights and timer idea before I bought the replacement bunny clock.

nessy18 Thu 18-Sep-08 11:28:48

my dd was given a bunny clock for her 3rd bday. She is terrified of it and will not let us put it in her room!! She said it could stay on the landing and wake up on its own!!! At 3years 3months it is still there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now