Talk

Advanced search

do your similar age dcs get treated the same? or do older ones get some extras?

(2 Posts)
hatwoman Fri 12-Sep-08 20:53:48

without really thinking about it all we've tended towards treating dds (8 and 6) the same, rather than making particular age-related concessions. put together with the fact that dd2's a loud little beggar I think dd1 sometimes gets/feels a bit eclipsed. so...I took a decision to let dd1 (now 8) have a few riding lessons. upsuprisingly dd2 thinks this is the biggest injustice ever. I have told her it's perfectly fair - they are both to be treated the same - they both get lessons at 8. I have also told her (truthfully) that the riding school doesn't do "proper" lessons for 6 year olds. (but she knows they do what I believe are called rein lessons). I think I am judging a particular situation and the particular characters involved to give one dd the bit extra that I really think she needs. but I'm interested to know to what extent other people give their older dcs a bit extra...

divedaisy Fri 12-Sep-08 21:25:23

My mum always treated me and my younger sister the same. There's 3 years difference. We got same pocket money, same bedtime (until I was old enough to go to bed without the need to be tucked in). I clearly recall wanting to get my ears pierced and mum told me I had to wait until I was 13. So... on my 13th birthday I got my ears pierced.... and so did my sister, who was still 9 - she turned 10 a few weeks later. Not fair!

Sometimes it is easier to treat the same, but overall I think it is necessary to make a difference according to age.

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now