Talk

Advanced search

18 month old very clingy - is it a stage?

(3 Posts)
Lionstar Thu 11-Sep-08 12:20:39

My 18 month old DD has recently become much more clingy than usual. She always was a Mummy's girl but in the last 2 weeks or so has become very dependent on me. For example:
- Dropped her off at nursery this morning and she was clinging on and crying, yet she has been attending without issue for 4 months
- She used to run to the door for cuddles with her Dad when he got in, now she hides behind my legs and cries when he picks her up (he is feeling very rejected)
- I can't leave a room without her running after me in panic
- She hates me doing anything in the kitchen and clings to my legs whinging when I'm washing up or cooking (very annoying)
- She has multiple tantrums over nothing every day (but I know this is likely normal for the age)

She was always a high-need baby, but also has a very happy and smiley sociable side, but this seems to be getting lost. I was painfully shy as a child and really hope she isn't developing this charateristic. I have been giving her extra cuddles and me time, she is still breastfed on demand and we try and get her outside as much as possible to avoid cabin fever.

Do you think this is just a developmental stage, or do you think I need to do more to support her and bolster her confidence? I think she is less whingy/more smiley when I'm not around sad. I'm finding it quite hard to deal with all the crying and whinging and wanting to be right under my feet ALL the time.

BlueBumedFly Thu 11-Sep-08 13:20:07

I hope it is a development stage as I have the same problem!!

DD used to go into Nursery no probs, now we have changed rooms to the 18 month room and all hell has broken loose. Kitchen is a nightmare, always hanging onto my legs.

We are also getting middle of the night wakings and crying which we have not had in over a year.

So hopefully it is just a phase! I do sympathise, it is exhausting. I work 4 days so I fear I am not giving her enough time but I can only do what I can do.

milkmoustache Fri 12-Sep-08 16:28:51

Yes - my DD turned incredibly clingy around this time, wouldn't go to anybody apart from her dad, even grown ups she saw a LOT and liked. She did gradually come out of it and now she is 3 and 4months is happy to go to pre-school, spend the afternoon without us at friends' houses and is generally full of confidence. I do remember what a total pain this stage was but slowly she came out of it. You have to keep (gently) encouraging her to go to other people, try not to reinforce her anxieties, and just grit your teeth...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now