Talk

Advanced search

The incredible drinking toddler.. advice please ..

(15 Posts)
dashboardconfessionals Thu 11-Sep-08 10:38:35

Message withdrawn

LittleMissNorty Thu 11-Sep-08 10:41:17

My DD drinks around half that - 2x 6 oz cups of milk either end of the day and probably around 2 full (7oz) cups water/squash during the day. Is it worth mentioning this to your GP - extreme thirst can be a symptom of diabetes...all it would mean is a urine dipstick test

calsworld Thu 11-Sep-08 10:43:16

My goodness!!!

DS doesn't have anything near that, about 7oz of milk at breakfast, and 9 at night, in between he probably only gets through another 18 ozs ofwater (bear with me), so that's about 34-36 ozs per day... so around half the quantity.

Does he eat salty foods?

GordonTheGopher Thu 11-Sep-08 10:43:46

Bloody hell.

That is an extortionate amount.

And that's a lot of juice. shock

Defo mention to gp.

GordonTheGopher Thu 11-Sep-08 10:44:33

DS is 2.5 and has prob 14oz of milk plus 5/6 oz of water, so just over 20oz.

Marne Thu 11-Sep-08 10:45:49

Dd has always been a big drinker, she's now 2.7 and drinks up to ten large avent sports cups full of watered down juice or water a day plus milk for bed shock

dashboardconfessionals Thu 11-Sep-08 10:46:34

Message withdrawn

NotQuiteCockney Thu 11-Sep-08 10:46:44

That's a lot.

I would a) dilute the juice more and more so it's just water (juice really isn't good for them). and b) talk to the gp - there was another MNer a while back whose toddler was drinking like this, and it turned out to be a metabolic disorder of some sort.

LittleMissNorty Thu 11-Sep-08 10:46:47

Even though everyone thinks thats a huge amount to drink, don't deny him fluids as thirst is a very powerful thing. But do speak to the doctor.....

dashboardconfessionals Thu 11-Sep-08 10:49:34

Message withdrawn

dashboardconfessionals Thu 11-Sep-08 10:50:12

Message withdrawn

ajm200 Thu 11-Sep-08 10:59:11

My LO is very active and gets very hot. He regularly drinks two large beakers of juice and a full 10oz cup milk at night. I'm not too concerned as I drink loads of water.

JODIEhadababy Thu 11-Sep-08 11:14:03

My toddler (23 month)used to drink obscene amounts too, and nappies got really heavy, really quickly. I really noticed it when I took his nappy off one afternoon to let him have a run around and he must of weed (sp?) about 5 times in about 5 mins (and they were big ones, and they were clear, not yellow, which would indicate dehydration!)

I cut down on offering him juice all the time, (but not if he was hot or running around) and only giving him juice with food and when he actually asked for it (I did find he was asking for it alot at first, just coz he could as he'd learned the word!) He still has alot, 4-5 Avent Cups and 1 Avent Cup of milk at bed time, but he hasn't missed what he has been given in the past IYKWIM. His Wee's are still clear, I keep an eye on that.

TheProvincialLady Thu 11-Sep-08 11:16:49

I would offer only water, not juice - if he is thirsty he will drink it. Juice is not good for him and even if it is watered down it means that at that volume he pretty much always has sugar attacking his teeth.

If he continues to drink water at that rate I would get him checked over by the GP just as a precaution - though it is probably normal for him.

dashboardconfessionals Thu 11-Sep-08 11:23:32

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now