Talk

Advanced search

Should I be worried?

(31 Posts)
ChocolateMouse Wed 10-Sep-08 22:13:34

DS is 7.5mo and seems to be a happy chap. We've recently visited a friend a couple of times, who is due to have her first baby, but she says that she thinks my lo has an attitude problem. I found this comment quite hurtful. She wasn't trying to be spiteful in any way but I'm now worried that my lo is not behaving the way a normal 7.5mo boy would behave.

Basically what my friend saw lo do was whilst I was feeding him his bottle he would stretch out his arms either side of him and flap them about in a general, relaxed kind of way, whilst doing this he would end up hitting my face. I reacted with a little "Ow", but he carried on whilst he was enjoying his feed. Also, whilst changing lo's nappy, he kicks out his legs and kicks us which can be a bit of a pain - we say "No" and he thinks it's funny and continues. My friend said to my lo not to come near her or her baby if he acts this way.

They're the only things I can remember right now. Is this commonplace amongst babies or boys even? I'm sure he's not aware of what he's actually doing is wrong, is he? Should I be trying to stop this now? Is it something he's picked up from the way we're bringing him up? Am I worrying over nothing??

Thanks

Jojay Wed 10-Sep-08 22:18:10

I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life!! A 7 month old baby with an attitude problem??!!

IGNORE HER!!!

LoveMyGirls Wed 10-Sep-08 22:18:40

I really wouldnt worry, your friend is about to have her first baby what does she know? less than you imo she'll find out children do all sorts and cannot possibly have an attitude problem at 7mths old. I think you're doing right by saying no to the kicking. Just ignore her she'll soon be running to you for advice grovelling she ever said anything remotly negative about your parenting!

cheesesarnie Wed 10-Sep-08 22:20:32

is she stupid?shes in for a huge shock when her little one arrivesgrin

FanjolinaJolly Wed 10-Sep-08 22:21:53

Your friend is clearly nuts!!!

CissyCharlton Wed 10-Sep-08 22:25:00

Don't you dare believe a single word she is saying. What rubbish. A 7 month old is incapable of having an attitude problem ffs.

My 6 year old used to kick me like crazy when I was changing his nappy and he's now the gentlest most considerate boy you could ever wish to meet.

CissyCharlton Wed 10-Sep-08 22:25:23

Don't you dare believe a single word she is saying. What rubbish. A 7 month old is incapable of having an attitude problem ffs.

My 6 year old used to kick me like crazy when I was changing his nappy and he's now the gentlest most considerate boy you could ever wish to meet.

Kewcumber Wed 10-Sep-08 22:25:25

When her baby is 7.5months, stand back, watch and enjoy!

FabioBigBangBlackHole Wed 10-Sep-08 22:25:58

ROFL

Your boy sounds normal and lovely.
Your friend is going to explode with shock.

[cruel cat]

But she will.

balanomorey Wed 10-Sep-08 22:28:55

Is this woman sane!!! God help her lo, when s/he arrives! How can such a young mind have an 'attitude' - totally mad to say that! All he's doing with his little arms and legs is enjoying the freedom of movement! My dd used to kick at this age and older when having her nappy changed - purely for the pleasure of moving and not for any nasty alterior motives ie if I give mum a nasty kick, lets see if she cries. FGS, tell her to get a life!!! & enjoy every movement and noise your lo makes. x.

Ewe Wed 10-Sep-08 22:34:30

My DD 6months is exactly the same! Kicks, grabs etc - she is just learning.

Your friend sounds barking, do not worry, honestly!!

smartiejake Wed 10-Sep-08 22:37:04

She told your lo not to come near her or her baby? Why? Does she think a 7mo will be a bad influence?

She is deranged!

I am not sure I would want someone who was so loopy near me or MY baby!

CJMommy Wed 10-Sep-08 22:37:47

My 8 month old exactly the same! Your friend is either barking or, more likely, a bit deluded - she'll find out! Don't worry and just enjoy your DS - it will be a long time before he understnds the difference between right and wrong and besides which, he is doing nothing wrong.......totally normal grin

SmugColditz Wed 10-Sep-08 22:39:22

barking

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Sep-08 22:39:54

All normal, your friend isn't but she'll learn!!

SmugColditz Wed 10-Sep-08 22:40:21

laugh at her. And say "Oh dear, someone is in for a shock! Ho Ho HO!!!!"

Be really snide and patronising, she deserves it

stupid woman

paddingtonbear1 Wed 10-Sep-08 22:40:40

your friend is barking mad. sorry, but she is. please don't worry!

lynniep Wed 10-Sep-08 22:40:47

Ha Ha Ha silly, silly woman. An attitude problem, in a baby <sigh> FGS... someone pass your mate a reality pill or summat

ChocolateMouse Wed 10-Sep-08 22:42:11

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your replies - you've all made me feel so much better grin

I had started to doubt myself after her comment but now feel quite content again. I'm sorry I ever doubted his behaviour now.

I will watch and enjoy when her lo arrives wink

Thanks so much all of you - from a very happy ChocolateMouse and her son grin

AbbeyA Wed 10-Sep-08 22:46:54

He sounds adorable. There will always be people with odd ideas!I thought I had heard it all but obviously not-a baby with an attitude problem is a first!! She won't know what has hit her when she has hers!

ILikeYourSleeves Wed 10-Sep-08 22:55:42

OMG I can't believe your friend said that! I have a 10 month DS and he BF's but whilst feeding he often slaps my boob with his free hand, he also loves kicking his legs esp when nappy free. He 'leg slams' where he raises them up really high and SLAMS them down, he seems to like it and is exploring making lots of noise His fave thing just now is slamming his legs in the bath and making lots of splashing, I think it's great! A baby can't have an attitude problem and as the others have said, your friend is in for a shock when her baby comes!

You have absolutely nothing to worry about!

dashboardconfessionals Thu 11-Sep-08 10:55:09

Message withdrawn

Jennyusedtobepink Thu 11-Sep-08 10:56:25

Honesly, her bubble is going to burst in spectacular fashion when she has her LO.

Doodle2U Thu 11-Sep-08 10:59:02

PMSL - I'll crack up if you come back on here in a few months to tell us she's had a boy and he has pissed all over her during a nappy change - ASBO in waiting!

Your son is a damn sight more normal than you lunatic friend grin

seeker Thu 11-Sep-08 11:14:30

Can you get her to say all this again into a dictaphome so that you can play it back to her this time next year?

She is clearly a loon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now