Talk

Advanced search

Speech therapy?

(5 Posts)
pickupthismess Wed 10-Sep-08 14:09:54

My son aged 4.5 can't say a particular letter and mispronounces it completely. My mum says if I don't deal with it he'll have this impediment for life. My DH and I lisped (and I had speech therapy at 7) but that's not his problem. Should I do something now or will it right itself?

Umlellala Wed 10-Sep-08 14:15:24

What's the letter? Ther's probably some low-key games you can do...

gladbag Wed 10-Sep-08 14:21:04

I'd think that it depends on the sound. There are some mistakes that children make that are considered 'age-appropriate' - so if children mispronounce (and this is from memory, so may not be completely accurate blush) l, r, s, sh, ch, y, v, z, th it's not considered a problem until about 6 or 7 years of age.

My ds (4.6) can't say th (always 'da') but I'm not worried. When I had concerns over other issues of his speech (stammering) we got a quick referral through our HV to have a speech therapy assessment, so that might be worth a try, if you are really worried. HTH

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 10-Sep-08 14:25:02

DS1 is on the list for speech therapy at the moment
he is 4.5 and can't say L,F or S correctly
we went to a speech therapy drop in session and she gave us some great tips but was clear that we have work to do.
Wait lists in some areas for speech therapy are quite long so it may be worth adding your name to the end of the list and see what happens.

pickupthismess Wed 10-Sep-08 18:56:14

He can't say L or TH. I think I had better investigate a little and find out if we ought to get on the wait list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now