Talk

Advanced search

Possibly a silly question - but how do I teach DS3 to drink his drink on his own???

(7 Posts)
FAQ Tue 09-Sep-08 17:34:38

I have FINALLY (after much trial and lots of money spent on various beakers/spouts etc) got DS3 (15 months) to drink squash diluted juice from a bottle with handles and "spout" type thing. He's loving it, however he can't seem to fathom out how to hold it on his own.

DS1 just seemed to get it straight away how to tip a beaker to get stuff out

DS2 was holding his own bottle as soon as he was strong enough to hold it up....

So this is a bit of a shock for me having 15 month old that hasn't figured out that he has to tip the bottle up to get something out of it. He still has his milk lying back in my arms with me holding the bottle (although has recently started holding it in my arms once he's had most of it).

kateandjames Tue 09-Sep-08 18:52:02

I give my 16m Ds a doidy cup to play with in the bath . That does mean that he ends up drinking a bit of bath water, but I think long run It means less puddles of water on the floor. He has alo shown an interest inwhat I am drinking from my cups, But I never gave him stuff to drink in a bottle,as he is breast fed.
He will get it in the end.grin

Seona1973 Tue 09-Sep-08 19:36:06

have you tried a cup with a straw as you wouldnt have to tip that? Asda do a cup with integrated straw that is not too expensive

Seona1973 Tue 09-Sep-08 19:36:07

have you tried a cup with a straw as you wouldnt have to tip that? Asda do a cup with integrated straw that is not too expensive

Seona1973 Tue 09-Sep-08 19:36:45

I actually meant Tesco, not Asda and apologies for posting the wrong info twice too blush

FAQ Tue 09-Sep-08 20:37:36

no haven't tried cup with a straw, although I have tried him on cartoned drinks (I've been desperately trying to get him to drink anything other than milk for about 6 or 7 months grin) with straw and he didn't really get that........just chewed it

Bowddee Tue 09-Sep-08 20:41:35

I got DS to drink properly from a cup by giving him a drink of cold water in the bath. Although he got very cold water down his front, I could warm him up really quickly with bath water. He learnt how to do it properly very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now