Talk

Advanced search

does anyone think their dc's are a bit strange or is it just me?

(13 Posts)
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 09-Sep-08 09:56:27

she may not be strange their have been no children in my family for a while so dd1 is the first at everything and i find some of the things she does and says quite bizzare.

the other day she asked me if she could make something so i said "of course, what do you want to make?" expecting her answer to be something to do with cakes or gluing <like a normal child> but no she says "garlic bread, like from the pizza shop"

she doesnt like going to school all day she told me and when will she be off. i told at the weekend and does she want to do something special "yes i want to bake an apple pie and i want to press down the edges by myself" she is now very excited because i told her she could make an apple pie after dancing. wouldnt a normal child want to make cakes? or go swimming? and garlic bread? whats that all about?

there are other stuff she does and says. like emptying her toy box to pretend that it is a coffin <large bed box> and refusing to eat pink custard in favour of fresh spinache leaves and when we go to the butchers she wuite often tries to get me to buy her pork loins or chicken breasts. bypassing the burgers and sausges that 5 year olds normally eat.

im not worried about her just wondering if this was normal child stuff or if she is a bit different? i cant remeber ever wanting to make garlic bread instead of cakes or bake an apple pie instead of going ice skating. and im sure i never wanted pork loins.

hecate Tue 09-Sep-08 10:01:55

Yeah, I think mine are weird. grin

Yours sounds fine to me. grin

ingles2 Tue 09-Sep-08 10:09:33

yours sound like mine!
Quite odd...but all the better for it grin

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 09-Sep-08 10:10:02

hmm maybe you are right <im sure you are> but pork loins? what on earth does she want with pork loins. i asked her before and she said <matteroffactly> "cook them and eat them of course what else would i do with them? im going to put them in my cheesy pasta"

and she still wants to make apple pies at the weekend lots of them. she is going to give them to the poor in africa because she thinks they would like apple pies better than water <she is v interested in water aid>

ingles2 Tue 09-Sep-08 10:13:16

Just enjoy her Seashells, she sounds bright and interesting. You wouldn't really want a sheep now would you grin

Geepers Tue 09-Sep-08 10:19:50

She sounds entirely normal to me.

I think my 7 year old is slightly eccentric. I can't think of many examples at the moment, but he is defiantely not an average 7 year old. An example is he always checks the weather and the rainfall radar on metoffice.gov.uk, oh and he will put on the parliament channel to watch when he goes to bed. He also refuses to call us mum and dad, and uses our Christian names.

We all like him being slightly odd. In our extended family he is famous for it so it probably encourages him to do these things. The good thing is that there is always a funny story to tell about the latest strange thing he has said or done.

AMumInScotland Tue 09-Sep-08 10:22:21

There's nothing odd in any of that - a lot of the things we think are "normal" for children are only that because society suggests them, not because children actually like them.

So, if you raise a child on chicken nuggets and burgers because that's what children eat, then they will only want to eat chicken nuggets and burgers. Which in turn will convince you that children only eat chicken nuggets and burgers!

Same with activities, and other interests.

She is a unique individual, with her own tastes - enjoy it!

wessexgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 10:27:06

She sounds great. My friend's dd is hilariously offbeat at times - when asked what birthday cake she wanted for her fourth birthday, she insisted it had to be in the shape of a dung beetle.

On the occasion that she got into the bathroom and festooned it with wet toilet paper, her excuse was, "I was just being a bus".

Dd2 is showing signs of similar eccentricity, at the age of 3. I'm all for it! At a party recently she insisted on eating nothing but cucumber; wouldn't even touch the birthday cake - and I'm not one of those hardline Anti-Party-Food mums in the least.

Ripeberry Tue 09-Sep-08 10:32:02

My daughters are officially lions. As soon as they get home they like to crawl around the floor (aged 3yrs and 6yrs) and want to have their dinner on the floor.
Totally say no to that, and that they must perform tricks like eating at the table and using knives and forks.
Then another day they will be horses, the list can be endless.
But it's great as they play lovely together, don't watch TV and i can get things done.
But it's a bit of a pain when they are in lion hunting mode as they keep pouncing on me! grin

minorbird Tue 09-Sep-08 10:34:25

LOL I love it! Children are odd, they're from space heaven doncha know. grin

NorbertDentressangle Tue 09-Sep-08 10:39:06

You just have to think of her as quirky and an individual -both positive qualities IMO smile

kateandjames Tue 09-Sep-08 10:40:23

re garlic bread and pork loins , maybe shes just been picking up tips from the cookery shows on tv!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 09-Sep-08 10:40:43

oh yes ripeberry she is also a dog. at my nans she likes to sit under the table and be fed 'scraps' on the floor.

i suppose what amuminscotland is true. i definately go on at dh about not bringing them up on freezer food <he has a slight obbsession about having the freezer full> and she adores jamie oliver so that must be where the pork loin stuff comes from. though untill that day we had never actually eaten them because dh doesnt like pork much.

i do enjoy her and find her very amusing. im not sure how we will get all her pies to africa though hmm i wonder if she will settle to giving them to relative instead grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now