Talk

Advanced search

suddenly bedwetting after a year of being dry.

(7 Posts)
mabel1973 Tue 09-Sep-08 08:28:01

DS1 is almost 4, he was dry just over a year ago, day and night. This week he has wet his bed for the past 4 nights, he also didn't use the toilet at pre-school yesterday and wet himself.

He returned to pre-school on friday and this does co-incide with the bedwetting starting. However he doesn't seem anxious about going, he has lots of friends there and I never have a problem leaving him.
I am not sure how to tackle it, i have tried to talk to him but he won't tell me if anything is wrong, or why he hasn't used the toilet (I also always keep a potty in his room at night), i don't want to push it though and make it into an issue.

I am tempted to just leave it and see if it just stops on it's own, but if something is upsetting him i would rather get to the bottom of it.

TIA

twentypence Tue 09-Sep-08 08:54:48

Ds had a school visit at a new school and wet the bed every night for a week - despite being fine about it. Once the visit was over he was okay again.

I wouldn't say anything, I think it will sort itself out.

asteamedpoater Tue 09-Sep-08 13:03:37

My 4.5 year old started wetting the bed again after a year of being dry about 5 months ago, also without showing any signs of being worried or stressed about anything in his life (although was going through a very run-down phase when it started, with a sickness and diarrhoea bug, various colds and then chickenpox, which must have been a bit depressing!). He's still wetting, so is back in nappies at night. He is prone to balanitis and recently also started weeing more during the day (in the toilet - he doesn't have daytime accidents!). A swab and urine check showed that he did actually have balanitis when it was taken, despite not having the usual symptoms, and also had some bacteria in his urine. A course of antibiotics has certainly helped the daytime frequency and has made a very marginal difference to his nighttime wetting, but he has just started big school, so I don't expect an instant cure, in any event!

So, my answer to your question is, I have the same problem and am not 100% certain what started it all off again (so anyone else's views would be most welcome...), but if it does continue in your ds for more than a couple of weeks, it might be worth dropping a urine sample off at the doctors for testing (you shouldn't need an appointment to ask the nurse to test his pee), as a urine infection can be the cause of nighttime wetting in a previously "dry" child, particularly if accompanied by daytime accidents or increased frequency. Mild stress about being back at pre-school is by far the more likely explanation, however, as urine infections in boys are relatively unusual.

mabel1973 Tue 09-Sep-08 13:29:06

Thanks- I haven't heard of balanitis.

I will keep an eye on things, he isn't weeing more frequently during the day as far as I'm aware. I tried to cut his liquids down last night before bed, but made no difference.

He does have a cold at the moment as well, so wondering if he is just feeling under the weather as well

twentypence Tue 09-Sep-08 19:50:41

Ds always wets the bed when he is ill too. This term we have had a lot of illness and whole changing school thing and there have been a lot of sheet changes!

mabel1973 Wed 10-Sep-08 09:22:23

he wet the bed again last night. I don't want to put him back in nappies after a year out of them, but I can't cope with the washing everyday! particularly with the weather being what it is, I am struggling to get his bedding dry!
I asked him this morning if he had wee'd in his bed, he said no he was just a bit sweaty, whereas in the past he has told me if he has, I knew he had as I could smell it, and I said, I think you might have, but he was adamant that he was just sweaty.

pickupthismess Wed 10-Sep-08 14:06:35

mabel - your story could be mine. After a year of being dry DS1 (4.5) started wetting the bed again once every two nights I'd say. I have put it down to him knowing he was going to start (and now having started) school. I really don't want to put him back in night pants (and he gets very upset if they're mentioned) but I am being driven demented by the washing. I can't get any info from him as to why this is happening. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now