Talk

Advanced search

good tit/bad tit...what is going on??/

(7 Posts)
bluewolf Mon 08-Sep-08 20:34:54

i bf (1yr old..in a few days)dd morning noon anght but night is becoming utter torture. with the left boob she is gentle and kind, then moves on to the right and must secretly get a cheese grater out of her sleep suit pocket becosthe pain is f-ing excrutiating. either that or she is trying to suck nipple thru the gap in her teeth or something demonic. why is this? and shuld i just say enough is enough and give her cows milk or water from now on?

livysmum Mon 08-Sep-08 21:43:04

Way to go you for BFing for a whole year in the first place.
I couldnt continue bf'ing after 3 months due to complications but was nice to have that freedom of daddy feeding baby or when she was 1 feeding herself.
I'd say you've done one hell of a job already and your DD is now one year old and would be no problem with switching to cows milk. definatly able to digest it and so no issues there.
Just make sure you stay strong and dont give in. Once done with it be done with it...maybe take a night out of the house cuz if mums not there to give the boob she cant have it.
good luck to you

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Sep-08 21:46:29

have you tried feeding her in a different position>?

Katw3kitts Mon 08-Sep-08 21:52:16

Why not swap round ...start on the right and move onto the left.

Could it be thrush ?

sasamax Mon 08-Sep-08 23:04:18

Has this always been the case?
If not, please check it isn't thrush as it will just get worse - buy Daktarin gel if it is and put straight on your nipple and in baby's mouth 3 times a day (not enough to choke her tho - just a smear)
Could also be an infection - it doesn't sound right - get yourself checked out!

CoolYourJets Mon 08-Sep-08 23:39:55

Teething. She needs to adjust her latch to compensate for the new teeth.

Normally takes a week or so, it is hellish!

Gemtubbs Mon 08-Sep-08 23:41:43

I'm still feeding my 7 month baby but for the past month or so he's stopped feeding on the left side altogether. If I tried to feed him he would go all stiff and bite me (ouch!), so I just fed him from the right side. I'm now in a weird situation where I'm only producing milk in the right breast and I could very well end up lop sided when this is all over. At 1 year old, I would switch to cows milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now