Talk

Advanced search

2.2 yo wanting to be called a completely different name?

(12 Posts)
Shoegazer Mon 08-Sep-08 17:04:39

My 2.2 year old DD has started refusing to respond to us unless we call her a different name "Nitzy". This name bears no relation to her actual name at all, and if we call her her actual name she says "I am not x, I am Nitzy". I know that I did this a child, insisting that I was called Montgomery blush but I was older, about 4 when I went through this stage. Does anyone else's toddler do this? Is it best to play along or ignore?

FrockHorror Mon 08-Sep-08 17:07:51

DD is like this now, her name of choice this week being Seraphina hmm. She refuses to answer me when I call her by her real name but I tell her that her real name is much nicer than a pretend name and then use her real name. I would say ignore but my DD is slightly older than yours so not sure what to advise, sorry.

hattyyellow Mon 08-Sep-08 17:12:56

My 3 year old twins do this. One is currently Bert (she is a little girl!) and the other is Spotty Leopard or Alex.

It makes me laugh so much that I'm probably encouraging it. They go through phases with it and they will still respond to their names at nursery etc so I'm not hugely worried.

Sycamoretree Mon 08-Sep-08 17:23:39

Gosh, never heard of this. But all the DC's sound wonderfully inventive and creative to even come up with such an idea tbh. I wouldn't worry too much, especially if she responds to her real name if people less close to her address her (does she respond to real name with grandparents, for eg?)

TheArmadillo Mon 08-Sep-08 17:26:16

ds (3) is scooby doo at the moment.

I tend to 'forget' and as a result sometimes he does too (especially if I am offering him something he wants wink).

I don't see the harm in playing along a bit.

Dragonbutter Mon 08-Sep-08 17:26:55

i am the proud mother of 'captain scarlett'

Shoegazer Mon 08-Sep-08 17:27:46

Lovely to hear of all this wonderful names they call themselves! She does still respond to her real name when others use it, I just wasn't expecting this sort of thig quite so soon!

Dragonbutter Mon 08-Sep-08 17:41:20

i wouldn't worry. sounds like a healthy imagination to me. enjoy it.

Shoegazer Mon 08-Sep-08 17:44:12

Thanks, I just hope people don't think I actually called her Nitzy grin

Dragonbutter Mon 08-Sep-08 17:54:36

She'll change it in few weeks to lady penelope!

you could always start a baby name thread to see what people would think of you. that might be a laugh.

TheInvisableManDidIt Mon 08-Sep-08 18:01:15

ds2 was called the amazing mr poopypants for 2 days when he was 3 grin

norksinmywaistband Mon 08-Sep-08 18:20:43

DD changes day to day, and unfortunately my name has to change in Sync with hers
Today I am Aunty Em and she is dorothy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now