Talk

Advanced search

Not talking :(

(8 Posts)
Loulou000 Mon 08-Sep-08 12:20:06

Hi everyone. I'm increasingly concerned about my 21 month old who can only say dada and dog. Her friends are all miles ahead in speech development now. Would the health visitor be the best person to talk to? I've read people mentioning SALTs but don't know what this is. Thanks.

Ebb Mon 08-Sep-08 12:27:25

I think a SALT is a speech and language therapist but don't quote me on that. Have you had her hearing checked? I would talk to your HV but all children develope at different rates so I wouldn't compare your DD to your friends. I would make sure you read to her a lot and talk to her constantly about what you are doing. I'm sure she will catch up in her own time.

Loulou000 Mon 08-Sep-08 12:34:41

Oh yes, that would make sense. Her hearing is fine - it was checked in May. She understands a lot, just won't say much herself. I hope she will catch up and that this is in the normal range but am beginning to lose sleep over it so I'd like to talk to someone.

Ebb Mon 08-Sep-08 12:37:33

I'm sure the HV can put you in touch with a SALT so give them a ring. I nannied for a 2yo who said very little but now he doesn't stop talking! If her understanding is good then I really wouldn't worry but easier said than done, I know!

Kewcumber Mon 08-Sep-08 12:40:22

my 21 month old said very little either - understanding is very important though. I sopke to my HV and we agreed she would refer me if his language hadn;t improved within 6 months. But I don;t think it wil;l be necessary.

Have a look through some of the other speech delay threads lots of advice on what you can do to help (eg giving choices instead of allwoing them to point)

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 12:43:21

may be helfpful to take a look at this book

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 12:46:32

it makes little suggestions about how and why baby may not be talking and has a half hour a day programme to help them. it also makes you feel pro-active.

tips like;
have a quiet background so they can hear you (no radio, music or tv)
don't question or correct them, just use the correct word in context
use short sentences
repeat words if they are pointing and watching your mouth
don't ask them questions or test them
have 'conversations' with them so they babble and you talk in the gaps. Nod and react to what they say whether you understand or not.

etc etc

I'm sure she is fine and just biding her time! Good luck.

wishingchair Mon 08-Sep-08 12:48:01

My DD2 is now just 2 and she was a lot later than her big sister to talk. Still such a lot of it is completely incomprehensible. She does talk away and babble, we just can't understand her grin. Her words are getting clearer though and her vocabulary is pretty big now, but I'm pretty sure if you were to meet her, you wouldn't have a clue what she was saying. My point is, all children are very very different in terms of speech, but if she hears you and understands you, that is the important thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now