Talk

Advanced search

Holding the Knife & Fork - stick by ettiquette or what feels right?

(7 Posts)
balanomorey Sun 07-Sep-08 22:56:28

Have just started to encourage my 3yo dd to try to use a knife when having dinner (the kiddie friendly variety, of course!). Have just been putting it on the table for her to have a play with and have been demonstrating how to use it etc.

Although she appears as though she is right handed - holds pencils in right hand etc, she does seem to want to eat left handed - ie hold knife in left hand and fork in right hand. This dosn't surprise me as I'm the same and so is my brother (my mum insists she told us the 'proper' way to eat!) and dh is left handed.

I don't have a problem with this and have always been baffled by comments from aghast friends and relatives that I eat 'the wrong way' - does it really matter, FFS!! Who decided this was the 'right' way anyhow - so what?....what do you all think?

Don't want her to be considered an oddity (as, in a very diluted way, I have thro peoples comments, tho it dosn't bother me one bit)...but I really don't care how she wants to eat and would rather, like me, she just feels comfortable with it. I'm more bothered that she observes good table manners and dosn't chomp and talk with her mouth open - that drives me mad and makes me feel quite ill when people do that. angry

It dosn't matter, does it??

AnotherFineMess Sun 07-Sep-08 22:59:30

I cannot believe that anyone would even notice - are they not eating, talking and enjoying their meals if they can be so petty about what hand someone else holds their knife in???

Tell her what a clever girl she is to be eatinglike groen-up at this tender age.

AnotherFineMess Sun 07-Sep-08 23:00:07

eating like a grown-up.

Shame I can't type like one grin

Tommy Sun 07-Sep-08 23:00:59

it wouldn't bother me at all. My DSs are 6 and 4 and both find it very difficult to manage a knife and fork so I would think at 3 she is doing very well anyway!

S1ur Sun 07-Sep-08 23:01:11

doesn't matter at 3.

there's time to talk about usual ways of holding cutlery later.

If she stays at the table you're already doing well. IME and IMO

seeker Sun 07-Sep-08 23:01:48

It doesn't matter what hand she holds her knife in (I'm a left handed knife holder too!) It does matter (in my very old fashioned opinion) how she holds it. Like a pen being definitely wrong.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 07-Sep-08 23:13:34

no, it doesn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now