Talk

Advanced search

How would my daughter cope with a new baby ??

(10 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Sep-08 15:09:47

Hi, my husband and I have decided to try for another baby. We have a 3.5 year old daughter who is very caring, loving and thoughtful but to our supprise very jellous of new babys. She has a new baby cousen and although she enjoyed holding him and kissing him, she got very upset when me or my husband made a fuss of him.
Will she be the same with a brother or sister, and if so will she grow out of it?
She has been the centre of attention all her life. She also has a speech disorder so would find it hard to talk about how she feels.
I have a younger brother and I was very jellous when he was born but soon became very protective of him and couldn't imagine life growing up without him.
I'm just a bit concerned for her really, I don't want her to feel pushed out in any way.

SmugColditz Sun 07-Sep-08 15:13:52

aLL i CAN SAY is that ds1 could barely speak when I had ds2, and loves him to bits.

Expect a few tantrums and there WILL be regressions. She will feel a little pushed out, but in later years there will always be someone there for her.

TYou SAHOULD have another baby,. if only to prove you have done nothing to cause Lucy''s speech problem.

isaidno Sun 07-Sep-08 15:15:25

She will have 9 months to get excited about it, and for you to prepare her.
She will prob be a little put out, but she'll get over it.

mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Sep-08 15:19:54

Thanks. smile

I think she'll be fine (in the end), She'll be at school too so that might make it easier.

indiechick Sun 07-Sep-08 15:23:41

My dd1 is 4 years exactly older than dd2, I'm just coming to the end of my maternity leave and I have to say it's been quite a summer with my eldest whilst she's gotten used to having a sister. She has struggled a lot with the lack of attention and the demands of her sister on mine and my husband's time. However she seems to be getting better and definately adores her sister and the feeling is mutual. It's a joy to see/hear them together and to watch their relationship develop. So I would say, be prepared for the worst, you dd will find it difficult at first, but it's definately worth it. Good luck with trying for another baby.

mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Sep-08 15:32:46

Thank you indiechick, smile we also have a very supportive family so she would still get loads of attention. My MIL had 4 children so she's used to helping children accept new babys.
It must have been a hard summer holiday. I'm glad that they are forming a close relationship. That's lovely.
My daughter has a very caring nature so I think she'd make a great big sister.

LynetteScavo Sun 07-Sep-08 15:35:46

Ooooh mummloveslucy.....I'm waiting for your "I'm pregnant thread" grin

Really, Lucy will be FINE!

mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Sep-08 15:43:35

Oh yes, I can't wait !! grin

I know if any problems arise, I've always got you lovely people on mumsnet to sort me out. wink
There are some fertility issues too, I had to take Colmid to have Lucy so hopfully it will work again. (fingers and toes crossed)
I'm not telling anyone we're trying, as I don't want to disapoint anyone.
Apart from you guys of cores. smile

mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Sep-08 15:51:32

I didn't type that very well. blush

I ment I'm not telling anyone but you, NOT that I want you to be disapointed.

Still not sure if that makes sence. Please don't take offence at my crap english. grin

mummyloveslucy Sun 07-Sep-08 18:39:47

Knowing my luck, it'll be twins.hmm

I'm not sure I'm cut out for extreme motherhood, not sure where the'd sleep either. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now