Talk

Advanced search

ds1 has just started tying things to other things in a slighly obsessive way. is this a bit weird?

(12 Posts)
lummox Sun 07-Sep-08 13:06:15

he is 3 and a bit, and this has started rather suddenly.

if he is left for any period he will start tying something (string, wool, mobile phone charger cables, etc) round something else (chair, table leg, etc)

it's all seems a bit weird. anyone else had this?

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 13:48:28

I think it is quite normal behaviour....
at that age they seem to be obcessed with lining things up in neat ways and stuff....(my son does that still at age 4...lines up cars and trains and all sorts)...I suppose your ds has just realized he has a new skill and puts it to use....

Overmydeadbody Sun 07-Sep-08 13:50:33

It is normal.

It is a learning schema, like filling and emptying, or lining up cars, or spinning things.

They need to do these things a lot when they first discover they can do them. It streangthens that particular schema.

thisisyesterday Sun 07-Sep-08 13:52:10

oh totally normal.
my 3.5 yr old LOVES wednesday mornings. because that's when the abel and cole box comes.
and the able and cole box is tied up with a bit of black and white string.

he spends hours with his bits of string tying stuff together. so, if your son is abnormal so is mine grin

thisisyesterday Sun 07-Sep-08 13:52:23

oh, and at christmas he asked for grey wool.

christywhisty Sun 07-Sep-08 14:07:57

My DS did this when he was 3, someone at nursery taught him to tie knots. Everything with a string got tied to the chair!

lummox Sun 07-Sep-08 18:24:24

ooh, glad to know we're not alone.

christywhisty - I wonder if he has learnt it recently. if so, someone might have warned us!

thisis - sounds exactly the same. could be a cheap christmas if he keeps this up.

3andnomore and Overmydeadbody - I expect you're right and it's just practising a skill. he's never really gone in for lining things up or similar, which is partly why this seems so bizarre.

and the look of zen-like concentration on his face whilst doing it (the look which is usually reserved for a new episode of Fireman Sam)

stripeymama Sun 07-Sep-08 18:30:09

DD was the same at 3. Very very taken with the idea of 'connecting things' as she called it.

Jux Sun 07-Sep-08 18:34:31

grin I got tied to the chair or table on a regular basis (she still does it now at 9yo if she's feeling particularly mischievous!).

charmkin Sun 07-Sep-08 18:39:11

3 year old ds here, doing exactly the same. Playmobil people hanging from bits of random string going on everywhere

lummox Sun 07-Sep-08 18:39:50

still doing it at 9? say it isn't so.....

Jux Wed 10-Sep-08 11:37:50

Don't panic. It's only when she's showing off to younger kids...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now