Talk

Advanced search

When do they stop interrupting ?!

(19 Posts)
BirthdayBabe Sat 06-Sep-08 20:21:25

Seriously, dh and I can never have a decent conversation when she's around! DD1 is almost 4 and just doesn't get it.

DiscoDizzy Sat 06-Sep-08 20:25:41

DD1 still does it at 5. V annoying.

Smithagain Sat 06-Sep-08 20:33:48

I'd love to know. We are trying to train DD1 (6) out of it, but she just doesn't register that we're talking.

Unless I'm on the phone, of course, in which case it is very deliberate, as she has admitted angry

Hassled Sat 06-Sep-08 20:34:38

DD still does it at 19. Sorry.

Grumpalina Sat 06-Sep-08 20:35:12

My 8 year old still does and it drives me crazy esp. when the 8 yr old and 4 yr old interupt simultaneously!!

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sat 06-Sep-08 20:35:34

DS still does it at 7. angry

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sat 06-Sep-08 20:36:54

If I am on the phone, I have taken to saying "lips moving, still speaking" he is slowly getting the idea. (re the phone that is)

BirthdayBabe Sat 06-Sep-08 20:42:15

Funny enough, she's understood she has to keep quiet when we're on the phone. She even shushes us when she's pretending to speak on her own toy phone grin.
19 ... OMG !

dd (6) and I have a deal, if I am talking to someone else (which is quite a lot of the time blush)and she wants to say something she has to put her hand on my arm. I acknowledge that she wants to talk to me by putting my hand over hers, then wait for a suitable lull in the conversation and talk to her. She is getting very good at it! Now I have to work on ds1 (4)....

rubyloopy Mon 08-Sep-08 10:00:30

Message withdrawn

Buda Mon 08-Sep-08 10:10:29

DS still does it at 7 too. Compunded by that fact that I think DH is becoming a little deaf and often doesn't hear that DS and I are talking and then HE interrupts and then DS gets cross and upset. I can have both of them talking at me at the same time - drives me crazy!

frankbestfriend Mon 08-Sep-08 10:11:28

They don't.

ghosty Mon 08-Sep-08 10:12:07

DS is getting better slowly - he will be 9 in November. You should see the expressions I pull when he comes and tries to talk to me when I am on the phone grin

seeker Mon 08-Sep-08 10:13:20

When they stop talking to you at all.....14-15 maybe?

ElenorRigby Mon 08-Sep-08 11:37:12

DSD5 has been taught not to interrupt. We have expalined to her that its rude to interrupt and if she forgets and does interrupt we simply say "Don't interrupt Daddy and Ellie are talking" then make a point of asking her what she wants when we've finished.
I think the trick is to be quick enough to pick up when they have spoken over you and be consistent in stopping that be behavior.
Even at 5 DSD is getting pretty good at waiting to ask for something.

TheInvisableManDidIt Mon 08-Sep-08 11:48:42

ds's have to say excuse me then wait for an answer if I'm having a conversation on phone, or with another adult.

This has been the rule since they first learnt to speak.

Seeline Mon 08-Sep-08 11:54:12

My 2 have learnt 'excuse me' but just use that at the beginning of each sentance/question whenever I am talking. It sort of replaces the 'Muuummeeee' that the normally use!

jellyhead Mon 08-Sep-08 12:05:38

Still waiting
ds1 is 9

HonoriaGlossop Mon 08-Sep-08 12:26:05

DS is six and still does it. Obviously what we're saying to him is being remembered though, as the other day we both happened to talk at the same time and he loudly said "Excuse me, I was in MID SENTENCE". Unfortunately he can't quite remember this when WE are talking. Though I do think alot of adult conversation is incredibly boring to kids and it must just sound like a droning noise after a while grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now