Talk

Advanced search

dd2 is refusing to sleep in her room on her own and is in our bed, grrrr, could it be linked to starting school and do I therefore go with the flow for a bit?

(21 Posts)
Oliveoil Thu 04-Sep-08 21:56:28

since Monday she has been a bit clingy and has point blank refused to sleep in her bed

has been put in her room at 7pm as per, gets distraught and so we put her in our bed where she remains happily asleep, then we join her later

only thing is, it annoys me greatly as I am now knackered!

so do we give her the benefit of the doubt as she was only 4 last week and could be a bit unsettled with school

OR

get strict as she is on the blag

over to you MN, oh font of wisdom

ladytophamhatt Thu 04-Sep-08 21:58:49

wil she wake if you move her to her bed once asleep?

WideWebWitch Thu 04-Sep-08 22:00:13

Oh poor love
well dd started on WEds and we got tough and said she HAD to sleep in HER bed - she's been sharing a double with ds for about a year - as we thought we couldn't cope with them both being awake til late, which is what happens.

So it's a tough one. I talk the talk but am soft as anything really. So let her sleep with you.

Oliveoil Thu 04-Sep-08 22:00:40

I moved her the other night at 2am and she stayed asleep until the morning

last night I tried to shift her at about 1am and she screeched noooooooooooooooooo and clung on to me

she is asleep atm and I am pondering what to do

she is 4 ffs, it is like a newborn all over again

WendyWeber Thu 04-Sep-08 22:00:47

Has she done this before when she's feeling a bit insecure? Just 4 is very young for starting school (plus did I see you're emigrating, presumably she knows about that, she might think you're going without her...)

Def cut her some slack (& see if you can engineer a chat about stuff)

WideWebWitch Thu 04-Sep-08 22:00:48

My dd is nearly 5 btw, yours is younger, only 4.

ladytophamhatt Thu 04-Sep-08 22:00:55

TBH, i'd be mean and get her back in her bed.

Would she settle in her bed with your pillows maybe?

morningpaper Thu 04-Sep-08 22:01:47

awww

I would wait until she is asleep and then move her

but I would also explain this to her beforehand

poor little thing! post her to me

WendyWeber Thu 04-Sep-08 22:01:49

WWW, your DD has started school? shock

Where does the time go?

Oliveoil Thu 04-Sep-08 22:02:15

I am a big softie tbh honest (am certain I am raising brats but am yet to find out!)

she was sat at the bottom of the stairs tonight and I said I AM EATING MY DINNER (blush) so dh got her and put her in our bed

Guadalupe Thu 04-Sep-08 22:03:17

I'd let her, it's such a big thing starting school.

DD (6) wanted to get in our bed tonight as there is someone snipping scissors in an annoying way under her bed but she thought they might go away if she had two songs. hmm She got one song and stayed in her bed but she was just trying it on.

Oliveoil Thu 04-Sep-08 22:09:36

grrrr I did a big post then and it vanished, is MN on the blink or what tonight?

my gut says let her stay but my head says I am tired GODAMMIT, get in you own farkin room

sigh

am off to bed to try and move the little peach and see what happens

thanks

Spatz Thu 04-Sep-08 22:16:16

We had this and got a mattress on the floor for her. DD grew out of it. In her case it was always associated with worries of some kind. Mostly school - she never wanted to do it on fri/sat night.

Guadalupe Thu 04-Sep-08 22:17:53

Does seem to be on the blink, have lost loads of posts.

Moving once asleep a good compromise I think. I often used to put a star-shaped snoring dd back in her own bed, she never noticed.

oi Thu 04-Sep-08 22:24:02

poor mini olive

dd wet the bed for about 3 weeks when shestarted school (appearedfine in every other way...was justher anxieties comingout) andthen it stopped just as it started

could you lie next to her for a little bit? v long bed time story (I know, a pita when you're tiredbut might work?)

I would be tempted to besympathetic but am softy then get fed up andget hard andfeel awful (soory space bar not working properly)

juuule Thu 04-Sep-08 22:33:53

How about leaving her in your bed and you or her dad getting in her bed for a good night's sleep

or

moving her to her bed and if she wakes getting in with her until she settles again and then getting into your own bed.

gagarin Thu 04-Sep-08 22:43:36

I think you would do better to sleep on the floor of her room - so you can sneak off when she settles and be back quickly if she wakes and can't settle.

Why would a 4 year old ever want to sleep alone once they'd moved into your bed with you!?

arfishy Thu 04-Sep-08 23:12:10

Oh DD did this when she started school too. After a couple of months I lured her back to her room with the promise of a fun night sleeping in a giant box, like a den.

She's still got the box (we are surreptitiously breaking it bit by bit because every time we try to get rid of it she gets upset <sigh>) but has been in her room for a month or so now.

I will mark the sad demise of the box with a super duper sleeping bag and hopefully distract her.

Oliveoil Fri 05-Sep-08 09:25:56

UPDATE

well I tried to move her last night but she was having none of it grin

please mummy stay here, please pleeeeeeese

so I gave in <<searches for backbone>>>>

she was sneezing from about 3am hmm and a bit bleary eyed this morning so maybe getting a cold?

no idea

I will see how it goes over the weekend and then try bribes (when in doubt...get the bribes out)

WideWebWitch Fri 05-Sep-08 11:10:44

Ah, bless her OO.

WW, I know where have those years gorn?

WideWebWitch Fri 05-Sep-08 11:10:44

Ah, bless her OO.

WW, I know where have those years gorn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now