Talk

Advanced search

My 16 month old only has four teeth - is that very unusual?

(5 Posts)
Binkyboo Wed 03-Sep-08 11:04:10

I know that she has fewer than all the other children we know of the same age but i was just talking to a colleague with a child the same age who looked aghast when i said mine only had four teeth! Anyone else with a late developer?
Thanks

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 11:10:29

My son didn't have a tooth in his head until he was about 14 months. Got the top two at the front then nothing else for 4 months.

Over the last 3 months he's got about 10 more. He's had a really miserable time because most came through together in a couple of weeks.

We survived by giving him lots of anbesol liquid, regular calpol and ibruprofen and soft food.

One of the gum massagers that you get for very little babies (looks like a toothbrush without the bristles) really helped too. He barely took it out of his mouth for a month.

Wags Wed 03-Sep-08 11:11:47

DS got his first tooth at 13 months, so had no where near 4 at 14 months. DD got her first tooth at 23 weeks. They are all so different grin

Binkyboo Wed 03-Sep-08 11:18:57

oh good - she's not some sort of dental abnormality then.
Thanks

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Sep-08 11:29:59

Hi, I just posted this table on a thread about losing baby teeth, but it also has rough dates of when they get them -

Central incisor 8 - 12 months 6 - 7 yrs.
Lateral incisor 9 - 13 months 7 - 8 yrs.
Canine 16 - 22 months 10 - 12 yrs.
First molar 13 - 19 months 9 - 11 yrs.
Second molar 25 - 33 months 10 - 12 yrs.

So just having the front four at 16 months is very much within the normal range.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now