Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good child psychologist/parenting adviser, North or Central London?

(10 Posts)
Janni Wed 03-Sep-08 08:47:03

A friend's seven year old daughter seems to be developing obsessive fears about her own safety and that of her parents. For example, on their recent holiday she needed very frequent reassurance that someone wouldn't snatch her from her bed. If she hears about someone who is ill she asks over and over if her own mummy is going to die. They are going to great lengths now to shield her from bad news in the media or within the family because it makes her so anxious.

She is otherwise a lovely, bright, seemingly confident little girl, but this is really getting to them and I think it would help if, in the first instance, they could speak to a good child psychologist for advice on how they can help her and whether she should have any sort of eg play therapy.

Any ideas?

Janni Wed 03-Sep-08 10:40:58

Anyone?

pudding25 Wed 03-Sep-08 11:36:06

There is the Anna Freud centre in swiss cottage. I would suggest speaking to the SENCO (special needs co-ordinator) at school to see if they can recommend anyone locally.

domesticslattern Wed 03-Sep-08 11:48:51

Your friend could ask her Health Visitor or GP about a referral. Like pudding25, I thought of the Anna Freud Centre. There is also the (nearby) Tavistock Centre.

I am also a big fan of the Tavistock series of books about child development. There is one called Understanding your Seven Year Old which talks about their emotional life:

www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Your-Year-Old-Child/dp/1872803407/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=122 0438794&sr=8-31

It looks like it is out of print but maybe your friend might be interested in tracking one down through the library or second hand.

orangina Wed 03-Sep-08 11:53:52

Bach flower remedies can be v helpful for this kind of thing too.... poor little thing!

Janni Wed 03-Sep-08 11:54:33

Thank you. I didn't know about the Anna Freud Centre, I had thought of the Tavistock and told her about it. I suppose I was hoping that someone be able to make a personal recommendation, but I guess they'll all be pretty good at The Tavistock.

domesticslattern Wed 03-Sep-08 12:04:55

Anna Freud Centre has an open day on Sunday 14 September- lots of child friendly activities like face painting etc. Might be a nice day out, and also to read their posters and see what they can offer. It's primarily a fund raiser so I wouldn't expect to get help there and then, but it might be fun in any case if it's local.

www.annafreudcentre.org/events.htm

desperatehousewifetoo Wed 03-Sep-08 12:08:13

The gp should be able to recommend someone. She may require a medical referral in the first instance anyway.

quaranta Wed 03-Sep-08 12:08:42

Suggest she calls the Tavistock . GP should be able to refer her or she can do it herself I think..

Janni Wed 03-Sep-08 19:52:31

Thanks everyone. Thanks particularly, DS - I'll let her know about the open day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now