Talk

Advanced search

10 month old DS refused a dummy since birth, but now is seeking out bottle teats

(4 Posts)
MarlaSinger Mon 01-Sep-08 17:55:16

I tried DS with a dummy a few times between around 4 and 16 weeks so he could have a soother but he just was not interested, so I left it at that, happy at least that I didn't have to keep replacing it when asleep and so on...

I have a cupboard full of dozens of bottles and teats that were never really used (breastfed but has some formula in a cup now) and now when he crawls around in the kitchen he is pulling them out, and chewing on the teats - this has been going on for a week or so.

Is it worth re-trying with an actual dummy at this stage or would I be mad to?

RubySlippers Mon 01-Sep-08 17:55:58

don't offer a dummy

he is probably teething and it feels nice

meandmyjoe Mon 01-Sep-08 18:19:34

At this age I wouldn't bother introducung a dummy, it's unlikely a baby needs to suckle at this age unless it has always had a dummy and sucking becomes habbit.

My ds never had a dummy which I was pleased about in a way but really wished sometimes I could have pacified him in some way, especailly whilst out and about. If my friend's babies got cranky in the pram, they'd give them a dummy, mine spat it out and just cried louder! Never ever wanted it in his mouth for more than a second and even then never ever wanted it to sleep with.

Agree with Ruby, he's probably just teething and likes to chew on things rather than suck. I'd offer a teething ring instead, much easier than weaning him off a dummy in a few months time!

ThinWhiteDuchess Mon 01-Sep-08 18:23:07

My DD who has just turned 1 was like your DS and point blank refused to take a dummy when she was a few weeks old. A week or so ago a friend came round with her small baby and DD nicked a dummy out of friend's bag and proceeded to walk round with it stuck in her mouth for the rest of the time they were here. hmm

Imo I wouldn't worry about offering him a dummy now, you'll just have to wean him off it later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now