Talk

Advanced search

How can I get DS 10 months to weight bear and stand?

(10 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Mon 01-Sep-08 10:19:32

Hi, DS used to sometimes bear his weight in the bath, he liked to stand and hold on to the sides but now he never does it or stands anywhere else. I try to put him into a standing position eg on my knees or on the floor but his legs go into a sitting position all the time or they buckle from under him. I wondered if he is doing that because he sits so much? He's great at sitting on his own and does this for most of the day on the floor with his toys. He's not crawling yet either. I have a door bouncer that I'm now trying to put him in once a day.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to help him stand? Plus are any other 10 month olds out there not standing either?

AMumInScotland Mon 01-Sep-08 10:25:10

10 months is young yet - he'll get there when he's ready!

ILikeYourSleeves Mon 01-Sep-08 10:26:46

I'm not overly worried but he seems to be the only one out of his peers not even standing, some are walking! shock

bethoo Mon 01-Sep-08 10:34:42

dont compare your child with other peoples, all babies/children develope at different rates. my ds is older than my friends bbaes but they were all walking before him. i was not concerned as why rush through the baby stage? you will only have to keep your eyes on him more once he is walking anyway! wink
my ds did not walk until over a year and i was glad tbh.

AMumInScotland Mon 01-Sep-08 10:49:06

They're all different - it can be a worry when "everyone else" has started doing something and yours hasn't, but it's not remotely unusual for them not to be standing or crawling at 10 months - if he's happy sitting and playing, just enjoy it. Before long he'll be getting into everything you thought was out of reach, and scooting off at great speed when you just want to sit with a cuppa.

HonoriaGlossop Mon 01-Sep-08 11:26:09

It's one of the biggest but hardest things I learned along the way, not to compare. They all develop very differently. And there is absolutely no point, anyway. Babies and toddlers do things when they are ready and not a moment before: even if you were to spend every waking moment 'working' on his leg muscle strength, he would very likely rain on your parade by talking early instead and not walking till 18 months!

Just enjoy him; the standing/crawling etc comes from internal impetus and he WILL do it when that impetus is there.

ummadam Mon 01-Sep-08 11:41:04

definately don't try and hurry him up - 10months is only young and he will get there on his own and I wouldn't be worried unless if he still isn't doing it by 12 months which is very unlikely.

Enjoy the freedom of knowing he is roughly where you left him or is at least at the same height and not trying to climb over the stair gate! that time will come soon enough!

sunnytimer Mon 01-Sep-08 12:54:34

Message withdrawn

Naetha Mon 01-Sep-08 14:22:48

I'll second the jumperoo - DS started only wanting to stand when we got that!

Kitstelsmum Mon 01-Sep-08 21:26:13

Hiya, I was speaking to a childrens physio the other day and he said that loads of children get referred to him unnecessarily by HVs because they're 'late' in pulling up to stand, whereas many perfectly healthy children don't do it until 12/13 months! PS My dd only started pulling up at 11.5 months and 2 months on she's running around like nobodys business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now