Talk

Advanced search

toy ideas for toddler who loves imaginative play please

(18 Posts)
deaconblue Sun 31-Aug-08 20:04:56

He's 2 and 4 months and loves anything where "people" have to chat and do stuff. we have Thomas take alongs "oh dear Emily's had a crash, Percy come and save her", a space rocket with robots and space men, a plane with little people and an ambulance with little people. Oh and a doll and buggy and a kitchen.
I think he will love playmobil but it says age 4 and although he doesn't put stuff in his mouth I still think the bits will be too small.
Any ideas gratefully received. Jsut reread my list and he does sound like super spoilt lots of toys boy but that is pretty much all the toys he owns.

TotalChaos Sun 31-Aug-08 20:05:44

you can get playmobil 1-2-3 range suitable for under 3s, chunky pieces.

siblingrivalry Sun 31-Aug-08 20:07:32

ELC do 'Happyland' stuff, which my dd loved -you can sort of build up a village. Loads of scope for imaginitive play.

bubblagirl Sun 31-Aug-08 20:08:15

little people stuff , nice and chunky

Dragonbutter Sun 31-Aug-08 20:10:01

DS1 loves hi huge length of blue see through fabric. It's his river and he goes swimming and fishing in it.

what about a dolls house?

Thinkstoomuch Sun 31-Aug-08 20:14:17

DS gets a lot of play out of his tea set and his fireman dressing up outfit. He also likes his play shop.

DabblesInGettingOld Sun 31-Aug-08 20:15:55

Lego! With lego ppl!

deaconblue Sun 31-Aug-08 20:16:21

am really tempted to get doll's house as he loves the one at our toddler group but then think I might save that as a gift for dd when she's his age. Didn't know about younger playmobil, could be perfect. I keep waiting for SIL to offer to give us her kids Happyland stuff they've grown out of but no offer is forthcoming...
Dragonbutter - now that gets me thinking maybe I should be a bit more creative with him and see what he makes of cardboard box boats etc.

deaconblue Sun 31-Aug-08 20:18:36

just looked - the playmobil 1-2-3 stuff looks good. Similar to his ambulance which is wow toys

Dragonbutter Sun 31-Aug-08 20:18:59

We gave him beach for christmas. Lots of blue fabric and some yellow netting for the sand. He loves flapping around under the 'sea'.

tassisssss Sun 31-Aug-08 20:20:29

dressing up clothes?

deaconblue Sun 31-Aug-08 20:28:32

he sounds cool dragonbutter, is he same sort of age as my ds?
Ds has lots of dressing up hats but is a bit weird about dressing up clothes for some reason. Might like a doctor's set though, although his poor baby sister would get a lot of pretend injections methinks

Thinkstoomuch Sun 31-Aug-08 20:30:57

ELC do a great Bosch tool set. DS loves 'fixing' the shed, the decking, etc.

Donk Sun 31-Aug-08 20:33:05

Cardboard boxes big enough to get into - can be used as boat/ship, car, rocket, den, house (for self or teddies), kennel, garage for toy cars.........
DS played in/with boxes for HOURS when he was 2 - 4 yrs old

Dragonbutter Sun 31-Aug-08 20:41:40

he's a bit older. nearly 4 now. he loves imaginative play. problem is other kids can't see all the stuff he can see. so they tend to piss on his bonfire and say, 'that's not a swimming pool, that's a carpet'. sad

deaconblue Sun 31-Aug-08 20:48:51

kids are arses sometimes. Your ds will grow up to be a great story teller I reckon. Ds often plays stories too - lately we have "the elephant and the bad baby" where all his little people are lined up to be the sweet shop lady, the butcher etc. Very entertaining to watch and keeps him going for ages.

UniS Sun 31-Aug-08 20:58:57

2nd Duplo ( lego for under 4s) and Duplo people. Boy (29 months) has lots of fun talking to the people and making lunch for them, building a station for his train track from lego and sorting out who travels in what vehicle. Adults like playing with lego too so I and dh don;t get completely bored.
Also good for sorting games, building games, car games etc. All the wheeled vehicles are compatible with duplo train track and each other.

UniS Sun 31-Aug-08 21:01:43

Best bit of our imagainative toodler is the way he will play pretend hockey with a pretend ball AND pretend hockey stick. makes me laugh and keeps him very happily occupied.
He also has a pretend unicycle, a pretend skateboard and a pretend bouncy castle for spiders, All live in his pocket when not in use!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now