2 seconds
'Don't touch the fan please baby'
'Why?'
'Because you will break it'

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 31-Aug-08 09:29:13

And then you say those words you never thought would come out of your mouth

Because I said so !

TotalChaos Sun 31-Aug-08 09:31:13

DS (starting reception next month and speech delayed) still hasn't started asking why yet. It can be an irritating phase, but try and enjoy the fact that you have a kid who is developing language nice and on schedule.

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 09:32:09

Already happened! grin blush

DD has been saying Why for about 2 months, in fact since her second birthday almost to the day, but it has been tentative, not really with understanding, but with the caution of a child copying from nursery.

Whereas the last three days, she has said it about 20 times. This morning, she has said it about 20 times, already!!!

She says Why to the strangest things

'Whats that?'
'A toaster'
Why?'

lol!

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 09:34:40

Totalchaos - oh dont get me wrong - I am finding it immensely cute, DH and I are chuckling over it right now grin

Just very aware that in 6 months we might not be chuckling quite so hard!

TotalChaos Sun 31-Aug-08 09:35:58

sorry I was a bit snarky blush, just it inadvertently touched a bit of a raw nerve.

Totalchaos - sorry to hear your son is speech delayed but think is just a light hearted thread, Pavlov shouldn't be made to feel bad because she's commenting/laughing at a phase which is particularly irritating (ds nearly 4yrs STILL doing it all the time!)

AH! Crossed post totalchaos! smile

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 09:38:38

TC oh no I did not take it to heart, I feel for you, and it must be hard to listen to others gloating about their children and how well they are doing.

smile

Have you seen the episode of Peppa Pig when George is saying 'why' all the time.

Peppa: George, can you stop saying why all of the time
George: WHy?

The reason I can quote this is my dc like to re-enact this scene again and again (usually in the car) <small scream>

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 09:44:08

No I haven't seen it...that must be so......argh! for you!

onwardandupward Sun 31-Aug-08 14:07:26

Why not move the fan out of sight and give child something more interesting to play with?

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 14:54:43

onwardandupward - the fan is the more interesting thing to play with!!! And whatever it is she wants to know what and why...which really is the point. It could have been the fan, it could have been 'what is that?' 'a fish' 'why' whats that 'another fish' 'why' etc etc!

My point was only meant to be lighthearted about the imminence of Whys for years to come!

[oh well]

Pheebe Sun 31-Aug-08 17:36:29

Have you tried the 'why do you think?' approach yet

doesn't alwys work but leads to some interesting conversations grin

CapricaSix Sun 31-Aug-08 17:38:52

dd is 5 now and she's revisiting the Why phase for some reason. Most times i'm snapping "What d'you mean, Why? You know why! Think before you ask Why!" blush

CapricaSix Sun 31-Aug-08 17:40:43

Pheebe's right, i suggested that on another why thread. Def used to work here. Not so much now... hmm
dd: "Why?"
me: "Why do you think?"
dd: "I dunno, that's why i asked you!!"

hollyandnoah Sun 31-Aug-08 17:53:34

pavlov,

sounds sooo cute (to the innocent onlooker, can imagine it driving me crazy after a while)! how old is your babe?

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 19:10:12

My babe is 2.2 exactly!!! I am not sure she will grasp the concept of 'why do you think?' yet! Being a little young, it is sooooooo cute, she has been asking things like
'what is that?'
'mushrooms'
'why'?
what are you doing?
eating fish
'why?'!!!

She says it sooooo sweetly! For now....!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now