Talk

Advanced search

7 MONTH OLD BLOWING RASPBERRIES WHY?

(23 Posts)
erwfran Fri 29-Aug-08 18:21:47

just out of curiosity, does anybody know why he is doing this? he has been lying under his gym now for half an hour blowing raspberries at the butterflies. he is teething so i thought it was probably to do with that or just something new he had learnt.
i'm not worried just obviously nothing better to wonder about!

erwfran Fri 29-Aug-08 18:23:51

sorry about the capitals btw, i just do it out of habit for the ref line in work

theSuburbanDryad Fri 29-Aug-08 18:24:00

Aww - so cute! smile

It's a really normal part of language development, seeing what noises he can make with his mouth. The same way he'll babble and scream for no apparent reason (or was it just my ds that did that?? hmm).

Tommy Fri 29-Aug-08 18:24:09

something new he has learnt and it sounds funny grin

This will be the first of many sounds - enjoy smile

frasersmummy Fri 29-Aug-08 18:24:25

ds used to do this everytime he teethed.. I remember readig somewhere that it helps them get rid of some of the extra saliva generated by teething

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 29-Aug-08 18:24:46

He does it because he can.

hecate Fri 29-Aug-08 18:24:59

Cos he's a baby. They all do that.

Wait till he discovers his arse and starts sticking his finger up there.

erwfran Fri 29-Aug-08 18:27:25

can't wait hecate

EustaciaVye Fri 29-Aug-08 18:29:12

because he can, it's funny and people react.

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 18:31:15

Because it's funny and gets him attention. This is the least of your worries, wait until he finds a dirty nappy in the middle of the night, works out how to take it off and starts to paint the walls around his cot...

They have no social graces, loads of imagination and will do anything to amuse themselves...

theSuburbanDryad Fri 29-Aug-08 18:36:05

"They have no social graces, loads of imagination and will do anything to amuse themselves..."

Rather like chimps...

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 18:40:05

Dryad.. didn't mean that at all shock

hecate Fri 29-Aug-08 18:42:32

actually, yes, rather like chimps.

theSuburbanDryad Fri 29-Aug-08 18:42:55

I regularly call ds "my little monkey". In fact, when asked, "What noise does a monkey make?" he points to himself and says, "Hello!"

Every other animal in the world says, "RAAAAAAA!" apparently! grin

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 29-Aug-08 18:53:50

When DS was about 10 months I, ahem, passed wind, and he blew a raspberry in response/imitation. blush Even worse, it was quite a realistic imitation blush blush

hollyandnoah Sun 31-Aug-08 17:59:49

it's cute! dont ya think? My ds is 8 months and he blows them all the time, he's started pouting his lips and sucking, like a reverse raspberry then blowing a prober one over and over again - with loads of slavers to go with! It is CUTE!

pinata Sun 31-Aug-08 20:42:15

my DD is nearly 9 months and blowing raspberries came a few months ago shortly before she started saying dadadadadadadadadada

Flibbertyjibbet Sun 31-Aug-08 20:49:23

Why is a baby blowing raspberries?
Because he has just discovered he can make a noise and will do it and do it till he can make some more noises.

I wish my two would go back to blowing raspberries... instead of backchatting...

erwfran Sun 31-Aug-08 20:59:22

it is very cute and it keeps him occupied for ages which is always a bonus

cheesesarnie Sun 31-Aug-08 21:02:06

because he can.

cheesesarnie Sun 31-Aug-08 21:02:50

Flibbertyjibbet-totally with you on that one!

hellymelly Sun 31-Aug-08 21:04:47

mine both did this at around six months when teething,I think it must feel nice against sore gums,plus it makes everyone laugh.DD1 once did it for a whole day .

Bumperlicious Mon 01-Sep-08 11:20:49

DD still does this quite a lot at 14mo. In fact when you take her dummy out first thing in the morning she responds with a raspberry. Sometimes she spends 10 minutes just blowing raspberries as she is pottering around, just one of those things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now