Talk

Advanced search

What to do about 13mo pinching and starting to bite...

(4 Posts)
oysterpots Fri 29-Aug-08 15:18:56

DS has tolerated his cousin (9 months his senior) scratching his face for pretty much as long as he's been around.

But now DS has started lungeing for our faces shock and it's becoming quite painful. He seems to be mainly obsessed with our noses (admittedly we both have fairly big ones) and grabs hold of them pretty bl*y hard. It hurts.

To begin with, DH would yell 'OW!' which made DS laugh (inadvertently reinforcing the pinching, I think) but now that it's increased in frequency we've started trying to stop DS. We take his hand away, say that we don't like him pinching, and then pick him up and put him away from us while we perform panto 'gentle' cuddles on the other person (ooer).

Is that the best way to handle it? Should we just pick him up and put him away from us without really saying anything? What does everyone else do? Please tell me it's a short phase!

DS also seems to be experimenting with biting, although I'm not going to label him a biter just yet, and hope it's not becoming a habit (he's only done it 3 or 4 times so far).

bubblagirl Fri 29-Aug-08 15:53:02

thats how i did it every time my ds did it i moved him away from me then picked him back up and got his hand and stroked my face with it saying thats better good boy

if he tried to pinch just moved himaway again he stopped eventually and has ever since his 3.3 now stroked my face as he got better reaction from me and praise

bubblagirl Fri 29-Aug-08 15:54:32

the same went with biting and my ds has never been a hitter or a biter or a pincher went through stage of pushing but once again m oved him out of situation said no and ignored then bought him back in and done same whenever he done it that was over with in few days also

EustaciaVye Fri 29-Aug-08 18:09:55

DD2 is 20 mths and is a pincher. We've tried most things without success however have recently reinforced that 'stroking' is nicer than pinching. Message seems to be getting through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now