Talk

Advanced search

How do I teach DD to tie laces?

(21 Posts)
Hulababy Thu 28-Aug-08 22:12:22

Just realised, whilst perusing another thread, that 6y DD can;t tie shoelaces. To be fair, neither can most of her friends. They donn't have laces in shoes, so no reason to I guess, but I think it is something she should be able to do it.

How do I go about it?

She finally figured out how to tie her school tie after a few weeks, but she had to deal with that daily.

How do I do shoe laces wothout her actually having shoes she wears regulrly with laces?

MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 22:13:25

Get a bit of card and cut into shoe shape. Make holes and thread a lace through

Or buy her a pair of trainers wink

DontNeedAnything Thu 28-Aug-08 22:14:23

Tie a lace around the back of a dining chair etc.

Do you know the little rhymne?

AvenaLife Thu 28-Aug-08 22:14:33

early learning centre sells a plastic shoe shape with long laces, you could try this for her to practice on, it's cheaper to make one out of card though.

AvenaLife Thu 28-Aug-08 22:15:02

Or a ribbon for her hair that she has to tie?

oi Thu 28-Aug-08 22:15:15

tell us the rhyme don'tneed

Hulababy Thu 28-Aug-08 22:15:59

She has trainers - but they are velcro.She has oene pair of shoes, some Converse boots, that are laces but she desn't really wear them as often in the middle of the summer.

Don;t know the rhyme no.

Which way of tieing is easiest to show them? Two loops, or one loop?

MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 22:17:03

ooh whats the rhyme?

hula - my DD was 9 recently and we realised that she doesn't know how to tie laces blush

She never needed to before!

we're teaching "one loop" but would like to know the rhyme!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 28-Aug-08 22:17:35

Message withdrawn

DontNeedAnything Thu 28-Aug-08 22:17:43

The rhymne....shit the rhymne...there is one...I am sure there is...or is it knitting where you catch a man and tie him up????

Hulababy Thu 28-Aug-08 22:17:51

I can't remember how old I was when I learnt.

I guess velcro is everywhere now, children don't get the chance to learn.

Easier or harder than tieing a neck tie do we rekon? Is t going take us ages?

oi Thu 28-Aug-08 22:17:56

I didn't know there was a 2 hoop way <deprived>

oi Thu 28-Aug-08 22:18:26

bloody hell Don'tNeed

you have us hanging on for the rhyme and you were leading us up the garden path

Hulababy Thu 28-Aug-08 22:19:22

Phew - so we can take our time over it then; no rush if other children are a fair bit older. Was one of those momnts I got when reading that other thread - kind of, oh no not something else I have to try and sort out! Have done swimming and cycling, wonder what else there was to come!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 28-Aug-08 22:19:55

Message withdrawn

IllegallyBrunette Thu 28-Aug-08 22:22:27

SNAP Cod, Ds is 5.7 and will not even try to ride withoutb stabilizers.

I am mean though and took them off and threw them away, so if he wants to ride then he has to try on two wheels.

Hulababy Thu 28-Aug-08 22:23:26

I googled: here

There is a rhyme

Washersaurus Thu 28-Aug-08 22:23:35

shoelace rhyme here

DontNeedAnything Thu 28-Aug-08 22:24:04

OK, I habve just asked DP (he did most of the teaching, cos he is left handed like DTD2),

I don't think it wasa rhymne as such, but we (he) used to say:

"Make a bunny ear[make a loop], chase him round [wrap lace around] then down into the hole [pushing the 2nd stand through teh hole to make a second loop]; can you catch him[grabbing the loop with the other hand as it comes through teh other side], got him, now pull tight [pulling it all tight]" for the bits with the loops. They knew how to do the first bit with the half knot anyway so we didn't teach them that bit.

Hulababy Thu 28-Aug-08 22:25:40

Cod - DD is a bit older - 6y4m and she old learnt in last few weeks. Realised her old bike was way to small (14 inch) got her a new one (20 inch) week before we went on holiday. Took her out on it for 30 minutes - by end she was cycling. She was very reluctant before the new bike.

Chocolateteapot Thu 28-Aug-08 22:29:02

OT's suggestion for DD was using two different coloured laces so they can see what they are doing, make a knot first showing them how the different colours cross over, then make two loops and tie another knot with them, wittering on about bunny ears or something at the same time.

Or something like that. At the time it worked on DD but I have been rubbish and not followed it up.

For DS and his bike with no stabilisers someone posted on her about jamming a broom handle down the back of the saddle which has been working well, though I feel a bit stupid running round the garden holding my kitchen broom. Have also tried today with him wearing DD's new rucksack which has a handle on the top and me holding the handle. Much easier on your back then holding onto the back of the saddle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now