Talk

Advanced search

is it true babies shouldn't be allowed to weight bear at early age (comment in babygenius thread)

(8 Posts)
dollybird Thu 28-Aug-08 21:36:31

susiecutiebananas, is that really true what you said about weight bearing early? my ds took weight on his legs at about a week old. he has had a closed hip reduction at 1yr (successful) and the hip problem was diagnosed pretty much at birth but we were never told not to let him weight bear.

Hulababy Thu 28-Aug-08 21:47:27

My DD weight beared very early on too, she always wanted to be upright and on her feet from as early as I can remember. She cruised at 5 months, walked at 10 months.

She is 6 now. She has no problems re. hips or anything.

I have heard this before, but never been told why not. Nor was I ever been told not to let DD do it by any health profressional.

gagarin Thu 28-Aug-08 21:49:53

There is an old wives tale about bendy legs and weight bearing - told by many granmas. Is that what you mean? Not true btw.

juuule Thu 28-Aug-08 21:52:46

I have been told this by relatives but when I queried it with gp and other health professionals they said that it wouldn't be possible for a baby to bear it's own weight unless it's leg muscles were developed enough. If the muscles were developed enough then there wouldn't be a problem.
So, if they can bear their own weight, they are developed enough to bear their own weight without it causing problems. If they can't then their legs would collapse also meaning there would be no problems.

I have a photo of one of mine stood up at the side of the settee at 4m. She couldn't move but she was stood up. She has had no problems with her hips or legs.

dollybird Sun 31-Aug-08 22:06:27

thank for reassurance - I'd hate to think his hips were worse because we let him 'stand'

ScottishMummy Sun 31-Aug-08 22:18:13

NoNo child can only wt bear when they have sufficient strength stamina to be load bearing

enjoy your beautiful child

don't be scared or over cautious,don't inhibit natural movement

dollybird Sun 31-Aug-08 22:29:29

he's fine now apart from flat feet! next check-up in Oct so hopefully they'll give us another worry free year! He's 6 btw

naturalblonde Mon 01-Sep-08 19:54:07

My dd did this, always wanted to be upright. My grandad said I shouldn't let her as she would be bow-legged. She's 2 now and no sign of any problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now