Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sleep walking 6yo!

(9 Posts)
feedmenow Thu 28-Aug-08 15:11:39

My ds seems to have started sleep walking! Well, I says "started" but I don't really have a clue how long he's been doing it!

A month or 2 ago, dp found ds in the dining room a couple of times around 11pm saying he was looking for me, and just put him back to bed.

He regularly ends up in bed with us and, most of the time, doesn't remember why the next morning. I just wake up and find him there!

Last night, dp went down about 1am to get a drink and saw the lounge door shut and the light on. He went in and found ds sprawled out asleep on the sofa with both the cats!

For the most part I just find it quite funny, but is there any actual reason to be concerned? Do sleep walking children ever do dangerous things? Is this something he'll eventually grow out of?

BeachBunni Thu 28-Aug-08 16:11:55

No experience myself but my brother sleep walked when he was about the same age. Would even have conversations with you and not remember in the morning (great for black-mailing as a horrid older sister) He grew out of it after a few months and never did anything dangerous, although we lived in a bungalow so no stairs to tackle.

sjmilly Thu 28-Aug-08 16:34:11

I always sleep-walked as a child, and still do now as an adult if I'm stressed! I never did anything dangerous, and always interacted sensibly with obstacles around me (stairs, doors etc.). Regardless of where they found me, my parents would guide me to the toilet and I'd do a wee and take myself back to bed.

I can have whole conversations with people in my sleep - they just fit in with whatever I'm dreaming, and I only remember if I remember the actual dream!

It never did me any harm, but I've obviously never grown out of it either. Just check he's happy at school and stuff so he's not overly stressed.

purpleduck Thu 28-Aug-08 16:41:17

feedme, my 6yo has just started this as well, she will go wandering upstairs.
I am a bit nervous about it as well. It seems to happen when she needs the toilet - as soon as she has gone, she is fine.
Does worry me though...

chapstickchick Thu 28-Aug-08 16:43:24

my ds3 aged 7 used to often do this so much so i put a jingle bell on his door to alert me-our stairs are v steep and are directly outside his room-he hasnt done it for a while but it was quite worrying.

ajm200 Thu 28-Aug-08 16:50:54

My Ex used to sleep walk and went off down the High Street once in just a pair of pants. He was 22 at the time! I used to have to hide the car keys every night and eventually had to keep the dead lock on the front door.

For a little one, I'd be tempted to get a removable stairgate if stairs are steep and make sure the front door is inaccessible or locked.

chapstickchick Thu 28-Aug-08 19:21:28

when i worked at a hotel the police returned one of our guests-a young bloke dressed only in his boxers whod sleepwalked up the main road

dollybird Thu 28-Aug-08 21:41:06

DS did this for the first time on holiday. He and DD were sharing and kept swapping beds. About 10pm we found him in with her and when we tried to move him he tried to poke her eyes out!

feedmenow Mon 01-Sep-08 17:26:59

Thanks for the replies all! Only taken me 5 days to come back and see whats been said!

So, chances are it should be fine and he will eventually just stop. Thats good. Although I have to say, I quite like the idea of putting a bell on his door just for fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now