Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

walking question!!

(12 Posts)
lilsmum Fri 18-Feb-05 18:55:10

dd (12.5mth)took her 1st steps about a mth ago, since then she will take steps and i know she can walk about 10 ft in distance,she can also turn and stop and walk when out and about if she holds your finger, but crawling still seems to dominate!!! does it take quite a long time to leave crawling behind them for good? and to only walk?

kid Fri 18-Feb-05 18:58:26

My DD took about 2 months to go from taking 6 steps to walking all the time. She would still crawl if she was being chased and didn't feel she had time to stand up first!
She was older though at 21 months when she took her first steps.

miam Fri 18-Feb-05 19:01:07

I'm sure it won't be long before she has the confidence to get up and go - she's got off to a good start already! They are all different - mine crawled and walked at different stages. dd3 never crawled atall - bottom shuffled until she was over 18mths before she discovered what her legs were for!

coppertop Fri 18-Feb-05 19:02:26

I think that when they first start out walking it can be very slow for them. My 2 both both used to drop down and crawl when they wanted more speed.

kid Fri 18-Feb-05 19:02:38

My dd bottom shuffled too. I thought she would never walk but she got there in the end!

vicdubya Sat 19-Feb-05 16:02:48

I was wondering the same thing Lilsmum.

DS 11 months just started taking a few steps here & there but crawling is so fast I think he will be using that as his main method for some time to come.

But they are quite young yet so I guess they've plenty of time.

MarsLady Sat 19-Feb-05 16:06:08

Hi lilsmum. The DTs are walking and crawling. They walk when they are upset which means that soon it will be constant walking. DT2 started first but DT1 walks better. She was quicker to move from 1 step to dozens. She walks more than DT2 but I reckon she watches him then perfects her moves. I don't think that there is long left now before crawling is a thing of the past. I'll miss the crawling. These are my last babies so each passing phase is gently mourned.

lilsmum Sat 19-Feb-05 22:07:02

aaahhh marslady, i know what you mean, it is kinda sad isnt it?
it makes me laugh when you put things on mumsnet about your dt's they sound so funny and sweet!!! it must be lovely to have twins, but of course very hard work too!!! xx

Rarrie Sun 20-Feb-05 14:47:27

My baby took over three months! She took her first steps at just over 11 months and wasn't fully walking until gone 14. Even now, if she wants to go somewhere quick she'll crawl, but she does walk about 90% of the time now. She'll get there eventually!

Kittypickle Sun 20-Feb-05 15:37:49

DD took a couple of weeks to ditch crawling from her first steps, DS took about 2 months. Just depends on the baby I guess.

MarsLady Sun 20-Feb-05 16:03:24

Thanks lilsmum. They are cute mostly, but you should see them fight. DT2 will trip DT1 up when he's upset with her. Both can tantrum spectactularly.

Their walking improves every day. DT1 still looks far too small to walk.

vess Sun 20-Feb-05 18:57:27

Crawling is just so much more comfortable for playing with toys on the floor!
On the other hand, taking them outside might help walking - you wouldn't crawl on a cold pavement, would you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now