Talk

Advanced search

Bathtime tears...anyone help me stop them?

(8 Posts)
poppyseed Fri 18-Feb-05 18:48:21

DS (22 months) has always loved his bathtime - especially with big sister (5). For some totally unknown reason he seems really scared of it now and asks to get out and screams until he does. I have racked my brain to see what it is that he's scared of but to be honest there's nothing specific and I have stopped trying to work it out. I've even got in the bath with him (better but still unhappy) to make it better for him........ I know that at this age they do start to find things scary, as he's also become a little scared of loud noises too.

Has anybody got any advice for me in the short term as to how I can persuade him that bathtime is a fun time and a nice place to be for him again? Perhaps yours have had the same thing? (please tell me they have or I'll think my children are strange! - DD was scared of men with beards at the same age!!) I feel so sorry - even though I know it will pass!

albert Fri 18-Feb-05 19:09:02

Don't worry, we had the same problem. Found out eventually that he thought he would slip under the water! Felt totally dreadful for never having bought a non-slip mat thing but I never thought about it as I was always there with him. We went out together and he chose the mat (bright bright orange for white bath) Then we got some special bubble bath (for kids) and about a billion and one toys. Now the problem is to get him out of the bath!!!

KathH Fri 18-Feb-05 19:38:22

dd still screams at 8 (although we think its because she has an aversion to being clean rather than the bath itself!)found her & her friend laying with their faces on the drain watching frogs last year - when they got up they had big black stripes on their faces!

stewarty Fri 18-Feb-05 19:59:13

Does your little boy like swimming?If he does it is strange he has gone off his bath.Maybe try letting him say how much water to put in ,start shallow and build back up again.Hope this resolves soon as bathtme is such a fun time !!

poppyseed Fri 18-Feb-05 23:16:02

We haven't been swimming for ages actually so I don't really know! Will give the shallow water idea a try and some bubble bath - although that's bound to bring up his eczema!!

stewarty Sat 19-Feb-05 09:40:50

If he has eczema Oilatum junior do a bubble bath designed for babies with eczema ,you can even buy stuff (not sure what is called) to colour the bath water and he could choose the colour each bathtime

poppyseed Sat 19-Feb-05 15:07:32

Thanks stewarty I didn't know that - presume boots sell it? I'm off now!

poppyseed Sat 19-Feb-05 15:08:02

anyone else any words of wisdom for me - bath time is soon!.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now