Talk

Advanced search

How much milk or water do your 1 year old's drink

(9 Posts)
bluestripes Wed 27-Aug-08 19:16:56

DS has just turned 1 and I'm worried he isn't drinking enough. He has about 150 mls of milk in the morning and then about 80mls of milk at night - it's impossible to get him to drink anymore than that. Throughout the day I might be able to get him to drink about 100 mls of water. I'm just a bit worried that this isn't enough fluid for him but am at a loss of how I can make him take any more, I have tried Juice etc.

MegBusset Wed 27-Aug-08 19:23:12

DS (18mo) breastfeeds twice a day, apart from that he just has the occasional sip of water from his cup and some days not at all. Don't forget that they will get water from food too. I'm sure as long as fresh water is always on offer they will take what they need.

meandmyjoe Wed 27-Aug-08 19:38:41

My ds is 1 and has 400ml of milk a day and about 100 ml of water a day. I just assumed if he wanted more water to drink then he'd help himself to his cup which is always in his reach. I realise he has a lot of milk for his age but he is a big lad and doesn't seem to want to cut down!

howtobehated Wed 27-Aug-08 19:40:04

dd 13 months bf twice a day and drinks about 100ml water, won't drink more than a sip of cows milk, i worry its not enough too.

sunglasses Wed 27-Aug-08 20:58:08

My dd went through various stages of having hardly any liquid- milk or water from about 6 months onwards. went to see doctor two or three times but was re-assured that unless any obvious signs of dehydration not to worry. she suffered with teething and just refused to have bottle or cup anywhere near her. She is now 16 months and still doesnt have v much milk as a drink, more on cereal etc but does drink water throughout the day.I wouldnt worry unless he seems ill as if eating ok then there is liquid in food. Try making homemade soups etc or adding water / milk to food when possible.

bethdivine Wed 27-Aug-08 21:16:39

At 12mo, we swapped from BF to cows milk, and it was slow going for a while, but he prob had about 400ml and sips of water with meals. What we've found has helped is getting lots of different colour cups (the tommee tippee basic cheapo beaker) and making sure there are cups of water around wherever he is playing and offering evry so often. He eventually got it and now drinks a fair amount of water when he suddenly sees a cup amongst his toys.

Snippety Wed 27-Aug-08 22:55:06

I have the opposite worry. DS (14 months) is getting a molar and two more upper teeth at the moment. He is BF a lot more often than usual and has become fixated with his cup, carrying it around. He has to have it on his high chair at meals and drinks a lot. If he sees me drinking from a beaker or water bottle he insists on having a drink from that as well. I'm worried he's filling himself up with liquid as his appetite isn't what it was a couple of months ago. His poo is normal though so I guess he must need it. hmm

chimbus Thu 08-Oct-09 20:00:13

I have a one year old who has been breastfed exclusively. Now she only has one feed at night and first thing but some days hardly drinks any water or juice at all. She didn't drink a thing at nursery from 8 til 4, surely that's not good. An tips? tried juice, water and loads of different cups. Some days she will drink but it is always hard to get her to do it. My son drank loads so I am baffled!

LeonieBooCreepy Thu 08-Oct-09 20:01:29

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now