Talk

Advanced search

any paed. physios there know aabout foot ligaments?

(6 Posts)
horseymum Wed 27-Aug-08 13:54:57

My ds was a late walker- 22 months and a bumshuffler prior to that. He has always had a slightly turned out foot and hv suggested lacing boots would give more support, which he had last winter. Am just about to buy new shoes and wonder if they really do help. She says he may have weak ligamnets in his foot as it seems to roll down onto the instep and have no arch at all. If it will help i will get them but velcro is obviously much easier for nursery etc! She is not c oncerned and sees no need for a referal yet but will keep an eye on it. Thanks

toadette Wed 27-Aug-08 14:26:39

Hi horseymum, my ds2 sounds just like yours so will be interested in replies. He bumshuffled and didn't walk until 22 months as well. One of his feet rolls in and is very flat at the instep. My sil is a podiatrist and she gave me orthotic insoles to place in his shoes to prevent the feet rolling in, the insole in the most affected foot is built up slightly more on the inside.

Have the opposite problem with ds1, he has a very high instep and walks on the ball of his foot and has started to complain of pains around his toe joints.

claricebeansmum Wed 27-Aug-08 14:31:29

DS(12) has no arches (due to DH!).

He has orthotic insoles which make a huge difference when he wears them. He has just started throwing out one foot again so we will have some more fitted for him.

we have also been advised on footwear with structure - lace up boots in winter etc Summer foot wear poses more of a problem.

DS was not a late walker if I remember rightly.

It is something to watch. DH did not have much help when he was younger and when he does not wear his insoles his knees come together and it can be painful.

horseymum Wed 27-Aug-08 16:03:15

ok, how do you get the insoles? do you need a referal to a podiatrist?

claricebeansmum Wed 27-Aug-08 16:07:26

I expect that you do - or you can go privately.

Where do you live? I can recommend two brilliant podiatrists.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 27-Aug-08 16:09:19

I would see someone now tbh. My youngest two have both had foot problems. Waiting for an appointment for Ds2 at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now