Talk

Advanced search

Why is my 18mth old wide awake for long periods during the night?

(8 Posts)
PollyPecker Tue 26-Aug-08 20:51:49

My 18mth old boy wakes for up to 2.5 hours at night. Bedtime routine is fine and never a problem, goes down awake at 7pm and very happy and settles himself off to sleep. Tends to wake up between midnight and 2am for anything up to 2.5 hours. Generally happy and we just have to go in a setle him occasionally but obviuosly means me and the husband aren't getting the best night sleep and can't be good for my little boy either. Help!?!?

Thankyouandgoodnight Tue 26-Aug-08 21:58:18

Mine did this too! Absolute nightmare and then it all stopped suddenly. Very curious.

AvenaLife Tue 26-Aug-08 21:59:07

Is he having long naps during the day?

juuule Tue 26-Aug-08 22:32:10

Mine have all done. Awake from around 1hr to 2.5hrs per night. Some just never slept through until 3yo. Some were okay and then started waking in the night when they got a bit older.
Eventually stopped happening.
I used to get up with them and either do something or have a cup of tea and watch a film, while they played, got tired and then we went back to bed.
It passed. Some it took longer than others.

OlderNotWiser Wed 27-Aug-08 09:53:06

Mine did too around this age, I used to be downstairs at 2 in the morning for upwards of an hour while he happily played with his toys, waiting for him to get tired again. It did pass after a few months (sorry!) but happily has not happened since.

Lazycow Wed 27-Aug-08 11:16:41

DS (3.8yrs old) has always done this. He used to do it a LOT more but seems to just do it occasionally now (did it two nights ago in fact)

juule's advice seems good. I personally did the worst thing possible and took him into bed with me hoping he'd go to sleep. Then I'd get frustrated as I was trying to sleep and ds kept me awake by kicking/wriggling etc. Eventually I'd crack and get annoyed, ds would cry and the whole thing deteriorated sad.

You would think I'd have learned but each time I'd convince myself that coming into my bed would work and he'd go to sleep quickly. 9 times out of 10 it didn't. I'd have been much better off just accepting the loss of sleep and letting him stay awake for a while.

gingerninja Wed 27-Aug-08 11:18:50

I bet anything it's teeth. My DD was always the same. Canines were the worst and this happened at about 18 months.

PollyPecker Wed 27-Aug-08 20:50:16

Thanks for all the advice everyone, seems that we're not the only ones suffering. Avenalife asked how long he sleeps for during the day - it's usually 2-2.5hours.
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now