Talk

Advanced search

Anyone an expert in stages of child drawing?

(16 Posts)
GordonTheGopher Tue 26-Aug-08 19:30:47

I am asking this for a friend, so cannot be accused of boasting!

Her 2.5 yr old can draw without any prompting a head, two eyes with smaller circles for pupils, nose, mouth and legs (directly onto the head!) with feet.

She was pretty impressed and so was I - my son who's a similar age can only scribble.

Anyone with any links to stages of children's drawing? I know it's definitely above average but not sure about genius!

Olihan Tue 26-Aug-08 19:47:29

One of the assessments they do when they start recpetion is drawing a person. It's to do with awareness of self, I think but I'm a bit hazy because I haven't taught reception for 9 years.

The face bit sounds brilliant (my 4.8yo is only just at that stage and 3yo dd isn't really doing more than dots for eyes and a smily mouth) but the legs going straight off the head shows a gap in knowledge afaik. I know one of the key things we had to look for was a head and a body with limbs off the body. If they managed a neck and shoulders then that was really good, I think. Then if they had pupils, eyebrows, ears, etc then they were outstanding.

Seeing as he's only 2.5 it's very impressive. Is it a boy, out of interest? I'm assuming it is because it's even more unusual in a boy than a girl.

GordonTheGopher Tue 26-Aug-08 19:49:14

Yes it's a boy. He's always been really careful with a pen - even from 18 months.

Shoegazer Tue 26-Aug-08 21:10:32

My DD and her friend both 2.2 and they have both been drawing these heads on legs for a few weeks now. We don't get pupils, but we get ears and hair smile

totalmisfit Tue 26-Aug-08 21:29:15

my dd has been drawing full faces since she was 18 months old. <i don't often brag but come on that's impressive, right?>

notnowbernard Tue 26-Aug-08 21:34:07

DD1 is 4.8 and I think she is fantastic at drawing. Not bragging, being sincere

I can seriously say she is better than me (obviously I have better hand control, smoother lines, neater colouring-in etc) but when it comes to actually getting what's in her head down onto paper, in an accurate and self-satisfying way, she wins hands-down

Am looking at her Princess-Fairy picture she did today... the detail is beyond what I could have thought up

notnowbernard Tue 26-Aug-08 22:27:01

Just re-read my last post

That is quite possibly the ponciest sounding comment I've made on MN so far...

blush

SunshineSmith Tue 26-Aug-08 22:30:15

notnowbernard.- feel free to brag! we all do it one way or another...

SunshineSmith Tue 26-Aug-08 22:30:24

notnowbernard.- feel free to brag! we all do it one way or another...

AccidentalMum Wed 27-Aug-08 21:12:14

Was a bit shocked when DD1 did the same (as in OP), did some research and was quite miffed to find it lower end of normal! I was super impressed though smile

heartmummy Wed 27-Aug-08 21:56:53

my dd 2.9 also can do this, also makes faces out of her toys knows all her main shapes,all prime colours,counts to 16 and now staring to know her a,b,c,d, she is a SN child im very proud of her

RupertTheBear Wed 27-Aug-08 22:01:56

Oooh I wrote my dissertation about this many years ago. Embarassingly I can remember hardly anything about it now - but I remember scoring hundred's of children's drawing on the Goodenough-Harris Draw a Person scale. Might be worth a google...

BroccoliSpears Wed 27-Aug-08 22:02:02

I suppose it also must depend a bit on how much time you spend doing drawing with them. This last week of rain has seen my dd's pencil dexterity come on quite a bit because we've been inside drawing instead of outside running around and hunting snails.

My 2.3 year old can just about put hair, eyes and hands in the right place if I've drawn a head and body. I find it fascinating and exciting watching her learn bit by bit.

FanjolinaJolly Wed 27-Aug-08 22:02:10

Ah heartmummy,well done to your dd

And all your clever little uns.

It sounds good to me.DD is sn and just does scribbles.She is 2.9

catinthehat Wed 27-Aug-08 22:08:06

try this

I can't open it at the moment as DH has set up extreme lockdown on the interweb , but from memory it might be the sort of thing the OP is looking for

twentypence Wed 27-Aug-08 22:10:54

It shows good awareness of a face. The legs off the body bit is pretty normal.

Scribbles are also normal at 2.5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now