Talk

Advanced search

DS scared of (non-existent) burglars. Any advice?

(5 Posts)
hobnob Mon 25-Aug-08 20:39:14

My DS, 7, who is otherwise a straightforward child, has recently developed a fear of burglars which is affecting his sleep. He wakes up every night and one of us has to go and sleep with him. We have tried everything we can think of: lights, books, radio, reason, non-burglariness of the house explanations and so on. I know that this is probably a phase and we should just be there for him - which we are - when he's scared, but I feel sad for him feeling like this.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and what did you that worked?

MingMingtheWonderPet Mon 25-Aug-08 20:42:55

Has anything brought this about? Overheard conversations, information from a friend?

DS was afraid of burglars for a while after we were burgled (so it was obvious where it was coming from), and we just talked to him and he seemed eased by this. We also have the hall light on now which it never was before, and I don't see that changing I must admit.

hobnob Mon 25-Aug-08 20:49:38

The only thing I can think of, Ming, is that he has suddenly started reading much more independently. To my knowledge none of it's been about burglars, but it may mean that his imagination is becoming more active. He's an OC so he's alone in his room, which doesn't help.

kitbit Mon 25-Aug-08 21:02:25

I believe the fire brigade will come around and inspect your house for fire-proofness and escapability free of charge if asked/booked, I wonder if a local police office could drop by and give your ds some "official" reassurance? Or maybe drop into the police station and ask some leading questions?

dh has fab way of dealing with monsters (ds is only 3):
ds: aarggghhh MONSTER in my room Daddy, can't go in!
dh: _surprised tone_ really? but we haven't ordered them from the shop yet, how can they be here already? we haven't even chosen the colours yet.
ds: aaarrgHGGHHHHHH!!HGHHHH.....eh??

Not sure this would work with a 7 year old but you never know!

hobnob Mon 25-Aug-08 22:24:25

Your DH sounds lovely, kitbit! Thanks for the suggestion about the police. I might give them a ring and see what they suggest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now