Talk

Advanced search

It dawned on me on holiday that no-one can understand what ds says and he is coming up to 7 in a few months time....

(16 Posts)
oi Mon 25-Aug-08 19:07:17

it was going out and eating in restaurants that made it really click in my head - none of the waitresses in any of the restaurants could understand a word he said, nor could people in shops when he spoke to them etc.

I asked them at school, last term, to get the SALT to have a word with him (and we did the term before too) but every report back from the SALT has said although his speech is unclear, it is still not at the level where they feel any intervention is needed.

So what age are strangers expected to understand a child in SALT terms?

They also have suggested to us that as he lost his teeth early without the new ones coming through (he still has a big gap where his top 2 teeth go), that as these teeth grow, his speech will become clearer but tbh, his speech has never really been that clear.

RedHead81 Mon 25-Aug-08 21:15:15

I'm sorry I have no advice, but BUMP in chance that someone might have any experiences they can share with you.

CarGirl Mon 25-Aug-08 21:17:07

From memory I think it is age 6/7 that is the upper limit. I think you may be better going to your GP and insisting on a referral?

MmeLindt Mon 25-Aug-08 21:23:10

There are a good few SALTs on MN who should be able to give you some advice.

bigdonna Tue 26-Aug-08 09:09:24

my dd started speaking clear at about 7 until then everyone did not understand her unless she spoke very slowely she did have speach therapy though!!!

moondog Tue 26-Aug-08 16:10:25

Were you abroad?
It's hard to give advice with so little info but you can always ask for a re-referral.

oi Tue 26-Aug-08 19:31:55

ooh thanks, I thought this had died a death!

moondog, it's foxinsocks here. No, we weren't abroad, we were down in Cornwall!

I'm just concerned because he's seen 2 SALTs already and neither seemed remotely concerned. They did both mention that his speech did not meet the expected level for his age but also did say that they didn't think there was any point doing speech therapy in the meantime.

To put it into context, he had lots of wobbly baby teeth and then his sister swung on the bunk beds and knocked the top 2 and bottom 2 out (and made 2 more canines wobbly). The new teeth were ready to come through though so he has 2 new adult bottom teeth and 1 new adult(but only just through) top tooth.

Their comments were that it was worth waiting for his teeth to come through but in my mind, he's only missing one now so surely it can't make that much difference? Or am I being a bit angsty?

Tbh, I think his speech is very unclear but it is true that there are others in his class who are as bad (but they all seem to be seeing the SALT). Maybe we will just have to take him to a private SALT? Can we do that?

oi Tue 26-Aug-08 19:33:29

also it may be that I am comparing him unfairly with his sister who is only 14 months older and it feels like she came out of the womb speaking and pronouncing the Queen's English perfectly!

moondog Tue 26-Aug-08 20:00:20

Hi Foxy. smile
Well i tihnk opinions of 2 salts count for something. Unfortunately resources are tight and maybe the time and energy and money seeing him would take cannot be justified within public sector services. It's getting tight. We all have to make tough decisions.

Go private by all means! Will cost about 50 quid an hour. Best site is www.helpwithtalking.com (would link but laptop v v slow tonight) Look for someone near you who list 'child phonology' as area of interest/expertise.

oi Tue 26-Aug-08 20:31:04

thanks moondog. I do trust their opinion, especially as he has been assessed twice (and by different SALTs). They looked at him once at the beginning of the school year and once at the end.

I agree, I get the feeling that he is on the cusp of needing it but not one of the more severe cases. I also think, despite his poor speech, his communication is still good (i.e. he's persistent, can't think where he gets that from!) and I think that seems to count for something!

He was assessed when he was younger too as he spoke very early but then continued with the pronounciation he used as a baby (so he spoke faster and with more words but never improved his pronounciation) so the SALT saw him at 4 I think and concluded then that it was something that would resolve with age.

I'll look at that website, thanks and see if there's someone close by. What I'd like, ideally, is for someone to say - 'right I see what is wrong, but let's wait 6 months and if it's no better then let's do this iyswim'!

moondog Tue 26-Aug-08 20:32:45

Yes, one off assessmnet and follow up review with ind. salt might ease your mind.

akhems Tue 26-Aug-08 20:41:26

my son was like this until he was about 10.. very unclear in his pronunciation of words and no one knew what he was saying.. he got clearer around the age of 10 or so and is fine now, although 16 and tends to communicate with grunts and mumbles but that's normal for teenage boys I think

oi Wed 27-Aug-08 19:28:58

thanks both of you. Yes akhems, it does seem to be particularly a boy thing doesn't it grin

Nymphadora Wed 27-Aug-08 19:37:22

my dd2 is like that , she has SALT though but over the last 6 m has got worse as has her hearing so we have that to contend with.

Has he had a hearing test~? He may be copying how he hears?

oi Thu 28-Aug-08 22:04:14

thanks nymph - his hearing is fine. They did test that a few times. They are definitely doing their job properly. As moondog has said, it is almost certainly me being a bit more angsty because I worry about him not being understood and it does affect his confidence. I am sure it will clear up with time <crosses fingers>

hope your dd gets the help she needs

Nymphadora Fri 29-Aug-08 12:42:27

I know what you mean about worrying. dd2 isn't lacking in confidence and is popular so thats not a problem for us but when she was in reception the school got dd1 to stand up in assembly with her 'cos they didn't understand what she said and that sort of thing does worry me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now