Talk

Advanced search

do you tell your dc's off if they retaliate?

(5 Posts)
deaconblue Mon 25-Aug-08 14:06:14

wondering about this for a while. If ds (2 and 4 months )hits a child he has a sort of time out as a "punishment". We do exactly the same if he hits a child who has hit him first. I thought this made sense in terms of consistency ie we don't ever smack, but when he hits first I notice friends hardly ever discipline their child for retaliating.
ooh the ettiquette of blinking whacking is so annoying.

TheArmadillo Mon 25-Aug-08 14:15:56

I would but not as strongly as if they hit first, and would also try at explain (at a basic level) other things they can do e.g. tell mummy/adult etc.

I think you are right in terms of consistency. I also think they need to learn that it is not alright to hit even if someone hits them first, but some leniency required because it is hard to control emotional outbursts as a small child.

chunkychips Mon 25-Aug-08 14:20:08

No, I don't for a retaliation hit. I just break it up and have a word with both of them usually. very frustrating not to be able to defend yourself.

TheArmadillo Mon 25-Aug-08 14:27:05

I think this is one of those things that really divides people - whether it is ok to retaliate to someone who is attacking you.

EelCod Mon 25-Aug-08 14:28:31

i string em up by thier goolies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now