Talk

Advanced search

12 weeks and won't stop crying

(10 Posts)
happycamper10180 Mon 25-Aug-08 11:41:05

I don't know what to do anymore, our baby seems to have suddenly decided to stop sleeping and then goes into an overtired meltdown.
He used to sleep really well at night and be fairly cheerful during the day and now he's sleeping badly and crying all the time.
I thought things were meant to get better at 12 weeks not suddenly fall apart. He had his first set of injections this week but had started doing this a couple of days before he'd had them so I don't think it's connected.
We don't seem to be able to comfort him at all and everything that used to work getting him to sleep is failing. He used to sleep really well in the sling and the pram and now he just cries in both.
What could be causing this and what can we do?

wb Mon 25-Aug-08 12:09:31

I've had this with mine when they were in the process of learning something new (like learning to grab). But its only ever lasted a couple of days.

Do you think he could be ill (I don't mean seriously, but maybe a cold or earache). You could maybe get the doctor to take a look at him?

My other thought was colic but I don't have any experience of this. Hopefully others may have some ideas.

happycamper10180 Mon 25-Aug-08 12:18:43

He did have colic but this went away at about 10 weeks and so we had a really good couple of weeks and now this!
Wasn't sure if taking him to the doctors would be a bit paranoid first time parenty as he doesn't seem ill but maybe this would be a good idea...

Dalrymps Mon 25-Aug-08 12:29:24

Might be worth a trip to the docs just to put your mind at rest if nothing else. Don't worry about being paranoid, they'd rather see you and there be nothing wrong than not go when something is wrong.
I'm sure he's probably fine, ds went through a crying stage around this age, never found out what it was. Hang in there, it is a phase and it will pass! smile

firststeps Mon 25-Aug-08 13:10:06

hi happycamper10180, my DS2's colicky symptoms returned after his second set of injections, and apparently this can be quite common. His symptoms lasted about 10 days, and he also slept pretty badly and was generally unsettled for this period sad. The good news is that once this reaction settled down he went back to being settled and sleeping well. HTH

kitbit Mon 25-Aug-08 13:18:58

At around 3 months IIRC they go through a growth spurt which generally upsets everything stable that you've just managed to get sorted. Could also be teething (check gums with a cold finger, is he chomping or dribbling a lot? Cramming fists into his mouth? Rosy cheeks?)
Does he calm down when you pick him up? Could be that he's just realised that you are a separate person and doesn't like you not being there. No cure for this one I'm afraid other than time and reassurance!
Could also be a cold/ear infection/general fever, best to see a doctor if you are at all worried, they can easily put your mind at rest. They won't think you are being fussy, they would rather see a healthy child and reassure the parents, rather than miss a poorly babe.

happycamper10180 Tue 26-Aug-08 11:07:37

Thankyou to everyone who replied - was at the end of my tether yesterday but DS had a much better night last night. Still going to the docs just in case but I think thinngs might be starting to improve...

It's definitely easier to look at it as just a phase after a decent nights sleep. When sleep deprived and faced with a baby having 4th tearful meltdown in a day it feels like hell that's never going to end.

rubyloopy Tue 26-Aug-08 11:20:06

Message withdrawn

happycamper10180 Wed 27-Aug-08 16:17:17

Thanks Ruby, we do baby massage classes and I am giving cranial osteopathy serious consideration (had looked into it when the colic was bad but it got better before we got round to it).

The good news is yesterday and today have been much better. According to the dr it could have been a growth spurt, the jabs or a combination. Wasn't made to feel like paranoid first time mum but by the time we got there ds was smiling, cooing and generally looking like an angelic little chap!

rubyloopy Thu 28-Aug-08 17:18:19

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now