Talk

Advanced search

Playgroup

(6 Posts)
bookswapper Mon 25-Aug-08 08:26:18

ok...first day of playgroup tomorrow where (eventually) I will leave him for a few hours, he'sd going twice a week (2.5). Any tips?

[pathetic nervous mummy emoticon]

compo Mon 25-Aug-08 08:30:38

aw, he'll be fine smile

mrsmalumbas Mon 25-Aug-08 08:32:47

I work at a preschool annd also as a Mum I have done this twice! I'd say that in general if you are calm and connfident he will pick up on your vibes, if you are all nervous and worried he will think he needs to be too. I assume from your post that you are staying with him to let him get used to it? If so then I'd suggest you try and fade into the background as much as possible i.e let him get involved in a game and then step back. If you can "pop out for a pint of milk" or something and then come back, he will see that if Mummy says she is going somewhere but will be back soon, she will keep her promises. He will be fine and will enjoy it. And when you start leaving him there, remember that children often kick up a massive fuss when their Mums are there but settle down quite quickly sfter they have gone. They don't like the separation but do seem to cope better with a cheery goodbye (even if you are putting on a brave face!) than a prolonged tearful parting. Arrange something nice for when you leave him for the first time - meet a friend for coffee or make a hair appointment, as it can be a bit sad just coming back to an empty house!

bookswapper Mon 25-Aug-08 08:45:17

thanks both! its just that its the start of the whole formal education thing isnt it?! he will have a place at a school nursery in january and its all going too fast for me! i have baby too - so no empty house? would be a good idea to take him with me to wait? ( i could leave babe with my mum)

mrsmalumbas Mon 25-Aug-08 11:20:44

I know how you feel - my DD2 starts reception in a week and I am feeling very sad - feels like once they go into the school system you sort of lose them a bit. Even though my older DD and soon younger DD go to a truly lovely school. I still miss them. I am thinking of homeschooling when they are a bit older - but that's a whole 'nother story.

Anyway to answer your question, depends how long you are planning on hanging around - if you will be there for a while then I'd suggest you leave the baby with your Mum. If you are just going to settle him in and then leave then take the baby.

When my DD1 started preschool I was VERY heavily pregnant (actually about a week overdue!) and very emotional. She cried, I cried, it was awful. Much easier with DD2.

bookswapper Thu 28-Aug-08 21:45:16

well he has been now
I am a bit disappointed, I thought they would be more welcoming but I was just left to get on with things myself regards settling him in
...and was criticised by another mum for my screaming DS when I left him as he may have upset the other kids sad

THe first day he cried when i left him and
he cried because he didn;t want to leave
he screamed the place today going there and I was told to just take him straight out at the end of the session straight away incase he upset the other kids by screaming

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now