Talk

Advanced search

Feel like I'm being 'stalked' by DD

(6 Posts)
oneplusone Sun 24-Aug-08 15:49:58

DD is 5 and just seems to follow me around where ever i go. If i go to the loo, when i come out she is waiting outside for me, if i go for a shower she seems to come upstairs just when i've finished and am getting dressed in the bedroom. I know it probably means she needs/wants more attention from me and i do spend time with her, but she just seems to want more and more of me and i find myself trying to 'escape' her a lot of the time.

DS on the other hand, who is 2.4 just seems content to play on his own and just doesn't demand so much of me and so i find myself 'wanting' to spend time with him.

How do i deal with this? I don't want to oush DD away and yet i can't cope with every second of my day being 'invaded' by her? I need some time to myself and she is old enough to be on her own for a bit or with DS whilst i go to the loo/for a shower, but she just wants me me me all the time. She also talks NON-STOP and i can't bear it, i just cannot listen to her going on and on and on so much.

I'm sure the holidays aren't helping, the break from her whilst she's at school makes me more appreciative and patient with her when she's at home, but it's another 2 whole weeks til she goes back to school. Please help!

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 15:52:59

Stick her favourite movie on and have an hour to yourself.

It sounds like she's lonely and needs your attention to make her feel safe and secure. It won't last forever. I'd introduce 'mummy time', the children watch a movie whilst mum can be herself. Or phone granny and see if she wants to take her out.

Dynamicnanny Sun 24-Aug-08 16:56:35

Apparently I used to do this to my mum, follow her around reading at her, or asking her questions even if she was on the loo, or in the bathroom

HonoriaGlossop Sun 24-Aug-08 17:16:39

Just try to remember that this time will WHIZZ by and you will be feeling such nostalgia for her early years. No-one said it was going to be easy grin It IS hard to have a clingy child but IME the more you can be with them and give them, the sooner this phase is over. Try to really listen to her instead of seeing it as noise; try to appreciate that she is only FIVE and it is now she is developing into her own little person, with her own thoughts; how exciting is that?

If you simply can't bear it I think you do have a responsibility to try to get some time to yourself to re-charge; there is nothing so depressing and denting to the self-esteem IMO as to sense someone thinks you are a bit of a nuisance.

Try to keep busier? Go to new places so that she has new stuff to talk about?

mou Sun 24-Aug-08 17:29:27

i've got a 5 yr old DD like that and i'm afraid i use lots and lots of bribery. she really is the sweetest little thing and thinks i'm brilliant!!!! so i use sweeties or painting her nails or something girly as a trade off for going to the loo by myself or having 5 mins to think. its so nice to have a umber one fan who doesn't moan at me 24-7 unlike my 10 yr old DS.

mou Sun 24-Aug-08 17:35:26

actually something else i do that might sound really bad but works brill is load my phone up with brilliant tunes and have one ear piece in on fairly low volume. i can hear every thing thats going on but am calmed down by the groovy music in another part of my brain

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now